Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

HELP! Need Tips...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Need Tips...

Here is what I would like to do and I just would like to see if anyone has done this or knows if it can be done or not:

I would like to paint my LS6 Intake and my Whisper Lid to match my exterior paint, however the surfaces of the intake and the lid are corse textured. I had the idea of taking the intake and lid (exterior only) and coating it with a thin layer of Fiberglass resin, letting it dry, and then sanding it down smooth to remove the corse texture (especially on the lid). Then once the surface is smooth, I'm gonna paint it and clear coat it.

My questions are is the resin okay to use on the plastic pieces, and if not what can I use to replace the resin... and second if I use the resin will it have any effect on heat release (through the intake). I dont want to just sand the intake bare for fear of sanding it too thin. I figured using the resin will give me a layer to sand without eationg into the plastic mold itself.

Also, while I'm on here, does anyone have tips on how to polish the fuel rails? I know it can be done, I figured with a buffing wheel and lots of mothers polish.

Thanks!!!
Old 05-11-2004, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldn't worry too much about sanding through the intake, its not that thin, and you wont have to take much off.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can just sand the intake smooth no problem, don't worry about that.

i've done several, it doesn't take all that much to get it nice and smooth and ready for painting. if you really want it to come out pimpin start with like a 100 grit then work your way up through a few grits up to like a 600..you can get up to 400 at home depot, even that would be a nice finish. i always use 500 degree primer not plastic primer though to keep the paint nice..then paint it, then I use 500 degree clearcoat as well...keep that paint sealed in there between 500 degree layers to make it last..
Old 05-12-2004, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

What about the airlid? Anyone have any tips on sanding/painting it?

Also I am in search of a billet insert for the PONTIAC on the rear bumper... anyone know where I can pick this up?
Old 05-12-2004, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

MBA makes them, I believe afterthoughts auto also carries them from MBA.

its brushed or polished stainless. They look badass, do a search on them, a few days ago some pics were posted.