Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 leak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 leak?

Ill get pictures if needed, but dont have them saved on my phone, so I think a description may be enough to help diagnose. I can get pictures if needed. My T56 appears to have a slow, small leak around/near the back of the tailhousing. It shows noticeably less when sitting. However after driving, you can notice small pea-sized drops on the ground. Also, right around the general area where its leaking (about where the exhaust splits off into the Y-pipe), it looks to have "splattered" on the exhaust piping, so I'd guess its leaking onto the driveshaft. Could it be a worn driveshaft bushing thats causing a tailshaft seal to leak? Being a T56, I'm sure plenty on here could shed some light, and for any additional things to check. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-04-2014, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check the vent tube to make sure its not kinked or clogged, that could be why it leaks when in use and not when in use. A pic might help as far as determining if its a tail shaft seal ect.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

without a pic, guess is its the rear seal. That can be changed without droping trans. you do need to drop drive shaft and maybe x member if it is in the way. I have a B-body stick, not f-body so don't know how your x member runs in relationship to the rear of the tranny. Mine is not a issue.

if it is the rear seal most likely DS yoke is slinging fluid around.

pic would help
Old 02-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help guys, and my apologies for not getting a picture. I will try to get one in the next two days, but will likely need to get it outside and drive it for a few minutes to reproduce the issue. We have been hit pretty hard with snow and ice here in KY, so Ill try to get one when it clears up a bit and I can get the car out of the garage. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2014, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Vent tube looks fine. Thinking it's tailshaft seal?

Old 02-08-2014, 05:59 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Sure looks like it. Nice work with the pics.

Your yoke has a nut that has some decent torque on it (leave it in 1st gear & get your 1/2 breaker out, prepare to hold the yoke too) and the yoke will need a puller in order to get to the seal. A simple (teflon) sealant at the mainshaft to yoke splines isn't a bad thing for the fixed yoke versions.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, and noted. I was hoping it was the seal instead of the alternatives. Shouldn't be too bad of a job
Old 02-27-2014, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

Bumping this before I tackle the job. I have a replacement rear output shaft seal, National brand, doesnt have dust boot. Apparently this fits a variety of transmissions, including auto? Looks like this...
http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/...2s_p04_ang.jpg

Should I order one straight from GM instead?

Anything else I should check for while doing this?

Lift car, unbolt driveshaft, pull seal, put new seal in, bolt driveshaft back. Sound right?

Should I use any type of silicone lubricant when putting the new one in?
Old 03-01-2014, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oil drips look quite dark for ATF. Sample oil / and fill to be sure the level and health are OK. A quality seal will not require any sealant to install. A seal installer is your friend, tho.

Quick Reply: T56 leak?