Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Strip run coming soon...Guesses? Vids inside !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Strip run coming soon...Guesses? Vids inside !!

Alright my tech bros, I have to get back to the track very soon, or not for a long time. After 2 years of waiting it out the insurance company has finally granted me a back surgery!! WooooHoooo!!! and , yes , Im scared to death!LOL. Surgery date is Feb 26th, so very little time to get good weather and make the trip.
The track opened back up on the 1st and Im almost ready to go back. For those that don't remember ,my last trip netted an 11.65 at 118 with a 1.876 60 ft. I hammered it off the line, the tires went completely away, I backed all the way off and pedaled it for a good second before I got back to the floor. That was with stiff road racing suspension. I have changed the front springs and shocks and dropped close to 100lbs of weight off the car. The engine makes great TQ at my 2800stall speed. I want an estimate of my 60 ft and ET in the 1/4 mile. Chances are good I will have a 25% UDP also( working some deals right now) .
So what are the thoughts on my 60s and ET? 3.42 gears, 2.74 first gear in the 2004R and a 26" nitto NTO5R tire.

Last edited by newschool72; 02-23-2014 at 06:14 PM. Reason: vids added
Old 02-06-2014, 03:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

1.60 60' and 10.98@120
Old 02-06-2014, 04:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess...
1.72 60' and 11.10 @ 120

Bruce
Old 02-06-2014, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just a little background. The car went 1.74 60ft on my first trip to the track when I was having a few issues that are worked out now( it ran 12.4s at 109 on that pass) with a 2100 rpm stall. With the 2800 and traction I hope it will go better than the 1.7s. I honestly expect mid to high 1.6 60s, but Id love to see 1.60s !
Old 02-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Well I might be a little on the slow side. I hope you squeek a 1.6x or even better a 1.58 out!! but with only 3.42 gears I think you will limit you.

Bruce
Old 02-06-2014, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it will pull out pretty good, IF it hooks flat out. Since I got the car sorted out and moved up to the 2800 stall, I haven't felt what the dead hook is. Unlike the 2100, the 2800 blows the tires away, LOL, but I have yet to test it with the trick springs and Bilstein drag shocks. Hopefully , this weekend I can take it out on a back road and do a little suspension testing. Looking like a rain out for this Saturday, though.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by newschool72
I think it will pull out pretty good, IF it hooks flat out. Since I got the car sorted out and moved up to the 2800 stall, I haven't felt what the dead hook is. Unlike the 2100, the 2800 blows the tires away, LOL, but I have yet to test it with the trick springs and Bilstein drag shocks. Hopefully , this weekend I can take it out on a back road and do a little suspension testing. Looking like a rain out for this Saturday, though.
Rain may sux... but for example I got a foot of snow this week and track does not open for months! Rain does not sound so bad when your talking a foot of snow and temp close to 0 F

Bruce
Old 02-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

What do you have for rear shocks and do you have an anti-roll bar?

Also 25% underdrive pulley is not recommended at your power level. Insufficient mass to dampen the harmonics. 10% is max and many engine builders recommend the stock diameter.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

The PP 25% is all steel and solid. Im pretty sure the weight is the same as the factory LS3 dampener. The factory lower pulley for the front drive Im running has huge cutout areas to reduce weight from the factory and that gives the PP unit the opportunity to reduce diameter while not causing issues with dampening ability. Its the same basic unit SLP uses.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Old School Heavy

The PP 25% is all steel and solid. Im pretty sure the weight is the same as the factory LS3 dampener. The factory lower pulley for the front drive Im running has huge cutout areas to reduce weight from the factory and that gives the PP unit the opportunity to reduce diameter while not causing issues with dampening ability. Its the same basic unit SLP uses.
Well, after all of my research I was convinced by the right people that anything less than an ATI was a mistake. But, enough about that, what are they going to do to your back?
Old 02-06-2014, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Well, after all of my research I was convinced by the right people that anything less than an ATI was a mistake. But, enough about that, what are they going to do to your back?
They have to fuse my L5S4. The disc is like a sponge , so when I stand up, bend at the waste, twist, etc, etc, the disc material pushes out against the nerve center and causes all kinds of issues. I have several tears in the covering that wont heal. Ive walked with a limp for years because of weakness in my right leg from the abuse of the nerves getting pushed around. I lived with it for a long time, but now it is to the point that I can hardly walk around. My foot goes numb constantly and my knee buckles. Nerve shooter hammer my leg to the point of lifting me off the bed at night. Its been a pure pain in the a$$, literally, LOL. Pain pills and heat pads are my constant MO. Working on my car for an hour rewards me with pain so strong that Oxycodon barely takes the edge off. Its truly a blessing to get a chance to get it fixed. My doc hates to do back surgeries and tells me, he cant make me as good as God did. I told him Im only about 30% of what God made at this point, so any help is an improvement.
Sorry for the long winded answer, but this is a huge deal for me. I haven't had much of an existence for the last couple years. Talking with you guys and tinkering with the car has been a great distraction from what Ive been dealing with. I hope I haven't been too over bearing, LOL.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:24 PM
Old School Heavy

They have to fuse my L5S4. The disc is like a sponge , so when I stand up, bend at the waste, twist, etc, etc, the disc material pushes out against the nerve center and causes all kinds of issues. I have several tears in the covering that wont heal. Ive walked with a limp for years because of weakness in my right leg from the abuse of the nerves getting pushed around. I lived with it for a long time, but now it is to the point that I can hardly walk around. My foot goes numb constantly and my knee buckles. Nerve shooter hammer my leg to the point of lifting me off the bed at night. Its been a pure pain in the a$$, literally, LOL. Pain pills and heat pads are my constant MO. Working on my car for an hour rewards me with pain so strong that Oxycodon barely takes the edge off. Its truly a blessing to get a chance to get it fixed. My doc hates to do back surgeries and tells me, he cant make me as good as God did. I told him Im only about 30% of what God made at this point, so any help is an improvement.
Sorry for the long winded answer, but this is a huge deal for me. I haven't had much of an existence for the last couple years. Talking with you guys and tinkering with the car has been a great distraction from what Ive been dealing with. I hope I haven't been too over bearing, LOL.
I can totally relate. I had two neck surgeries. c3-c4 and c7-t1. Both arthroscopic. It actually propagated the end of my automotive management career of 20+ years. I had hot burning pain shooting from my neck into my shoulders and numbness down into fingers on both sides. Headaches, constant blinking and even some twitching. Almost 2 years of opiates and muscle relaxers. I was a mess. Finally I gave up trying to get my insurance company to pay for the surgeries and I just wrote a couple $12k checks for the procedures.

I am a lot better now, but nothing like I was. I can't do any more than a 6-8 hour day anymore and I seldom try to do 5 full days in a row.

I truly hope you get great results from your surgery. Anyone who has been through these types of things realizes that health is everything.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:26 PM
6D9
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm guessing 11.34 at 119
Old 02-06-2014, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

I know what ur dealing with with your back,, ive had l3 and l4 fused and mine was ruptured and pancaked,, had l5 mashed flat but didn't bust open,,, I can tell one thing do what they can in one surgery,, ive had 3 of them and the scar tissue will kill you in the winter months... whos doing your back surgery?
Old 02-07-2014, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can totally relate. I had two neck surgeries. c3-c4 and c7-t1. Both arthroscopic. It actually propagated the end of my automotive management career of 20+ years. I had hot burning pain shooting from my neck into my shoulders and numbness down into fingers on both sides. Headaches, constant blinking and even some twitching. Almost 2 years of opiates and muscle relaxers. I was a mess. Finally I gave up trying to get my insurance company to pay for the surgeries and I just wrote a couple $12k checks for the procedures.

I am a lot better now, but nothing like I was. I can't do any more than a 6-8 hour day anymore and I seldom try to do 5 full days in a row.

I truly hope you get great results from your surgery. Anyone who has been through these types of things realizes that health is everything.
Thanks, I really appreciate the well wishes. I can directly relate to your neck issues. Ive already had a neck surgery 2 years ago, this April. It was a fairly successful surgery, but I need another one. I had a loud pop in my neck a few months ago, trying to work on a kitchen counter top and my headaches and numbness has returned. I had an MRI of my neck after that , and the disc below the repaired disc has slipped now. My Dr would rather do another neck surgery than the back, because they are usually less intrusive and more successful. They tried to MRI my lower back at that time too, but they didn't have a way to tie me down and because of the years of nerve assault , I cant keep my leg from jumping and contracting any more. The girl tried 3 times to get clear images , but I couldn't make it happen.
BC/BS denied my back surgery last year and we lost the insurance soon after ( my wife quit the job we had the coverage through). For what ever reason, the same BC/BS has now approved the back surgery through my wifes new job. We had considered paying for the back surgery our selves, but after finding out the lower back cost 5 times the cost of a neck surgery, we didn't have 100K+ to spend on surgery unless we drained our kids college funds. The choice was made to provide for our kids chance for success and for me to keep on trucking like I am. I don't know why the insurance co had a change of heart, but Im thankful they did. I will be down a while, but I am hopeful that I will be able to get off the meds and start living a normal life again, when its all said and done.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by windmill
I know what ur dealing with with your back,, ive had l3 and l4 fused and mine was ruptured and pancaked,, had l5 mashed flat but didn't bust open,,, I can tell one thing do what they can in one surgery,, ive had 3 of them and the scar tissue will kill you in the winter months... whos doing your back surgery?
Im having the surgery through OrthoGa. My Dr is Winston Jeshuran. He is a 4th generation Dr and is a chairman for the FDA. He is on the cutting edge of spinal research. He offered to have me do a stem cell research experiment, but I didn't like the idea of being a test tube for an experimental procedure , LOL. The guy is good and takes great pride in his success ratio . He is also young , so he is still excited and hungry about what he does. He is very personable and texts with me any time he is off work. He is a big time hunter and I am an archery pro, so he picks my brain and lets me pick his as well. I feel comfortable letting him cut on me.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

What do you have for rear shocks and do you have an anti-roll bar?

Also 25% underdrive pulley is not recommended at your power level. Insufficient mass to dampen the harmonics. 10% is max and many engine builders recommend the stock diameter.
Sorry I didn't answer the suspension questions earlier. I still have the KYB shocks on the back, so nothing drag oriented at the rear. I have a Hotchkis rear sway bar on the back, as well as the front. I am going to disconnect the front bar at the track. With the bar attached, the front is very compliant and handles good, but cuts down on the weight transfer. I plan to unbolt the links at the track, then bolt them back down before the ride home.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

just had back surgery in december. 3 bad disks were causing nerve problems in my *** and down my left leg to my toes... absolutely no regrets. it's awesome to wake up in the morning and know i will have no problems getting out of bed.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Old School Heavy

Sorry I didn't answer the suspension questions earlier. I still have the KYB shocks on the back, so nothing drag oriented at the rear. I have a Hotchkis rear sway bar on the back, as well as the front. I am going to disconnect the front bar at the track. With the bar attached, the front is very compliant and handles good, but cuts down on the weight transfer. I plan to unbolt the links at the track, then bolt them back down before the ride home.
I have been doing a lot of reading on this since upgrading to double adjustable shocks. What I have read is that, in general, the rear shocks should be very firm on compression and fairly loose on extension. This stops the vehicle from squatting during weight transfer and allows the suspension to plant the tires on the hit. The experienced guys did emphasize that this was a starting point and that there is no one "perfect" setting. It varies by car and even by track conditions.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
just had back surgery in december. 3 bad disks were causing nerve problems in my *** and down my left leg to my toes... absolutely no regrets. it's awesome to wake up in the morning and know i will have no problems getting out of bed.
Yea , that's the same areas Im having trouble with. I hope your success rubs off on me, LOL! My meds are worn off by morning and its almost more than I can take for the first 45 mins or so, till the happy pill gets to where the hurt is, then its just a pain in the a$$. About 4 hrs later , the same crap again, rinse repeat, rinse repeat...........

Quick Reply: Strip run coming soon...Guesses? Vids inside !!