LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

24X Pros & Cons

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 11:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 24X Pros & Cons

What still works and what doesn't. Will the ABS, Cruise control and things like that still work after the 24X swap?
Old 02-07-2014, 12:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing you will lose is egr/evap emissions.

Pros:
more tuning options,more tuners
no fear of optispark problems
7000+ rpm capable

cons:
cost
leaves some power on the table if not tuned right, a few tuners that have touched my car try to tune it like an ls car with the timing dip. My car doesn't like this.

I run the the 24x setup, mainly because I have hp tuners for all of my other vehicles. I have been over 7k on accident a few times. If you have a good quality optispark, a good tune and a setup that doesn't need that type of rpm its not needed to switch over. I was having ignition problems and couldn't find the problem, after switching to the 24x system it fixed my upper rpm break up and has been reliable.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Pros- too many to list

Cons- initial cost. But buy 2 or 3 optis and you'll be wishing you had 24x. Sure some say the ipti doesn't go out too often. Well, what if it does? warranty??? still doesn't cover labor (yours or a shops) 2 gal of dexcool, time w/o the car etc, etc.

With the right shopping and depending how much hands on you want to do, you can have a complete setup for about a grand.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

355z28s post is one of the most honest thoughtful I have seen from a 24x user.

Originally Posted by SAPPER
Pros- too many to list

Cons- initial cost. But buy 2 or 3 optis and you'll be wishing you had 24x. Sure some say the ipti doesn't go out too often. Well, what if it does? warranty??? still doesn't cover labor (yours or a shops) 2 gal of dexcool, time w/o the car etc, etc.

With the right shopping and depending how much hands on you want to do, you can have a complete setup for about a grand.

IF the opti dies it is usually cap and rotor which is $120 or something, cost more than 2-3 of those to pay for this mod.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Just do megasquirt cheap and it tunes on the fly.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Like 355Z28 said, you're going to have to find some one who actually tuned LT1s or tuned several different plat forms so their not in a singular engine mind set when they go to tune it. Just because you have a lot of options doesn't mean you have a lot of good options by default. Over all I am pretty happy with the 24X, Customer service has been awesome. Being able to tune the car with HP Tuners on the dyno and not swap/burn chips is really nice.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
355z28s post is one of the most honest thoughtful I have seen from a 24x user.
I guess another Pro is to be able to run 2 and 3 bar tunes for forced induction. I do like the setup I won't deny it. I had $650 in my 24x setup and sold that wonderful MSD opti you like so much and a few spare delco's I had and covered the cost of my conversion.

The setup is hit or miss, but having the software for it and leaving that door open to grow with my setup whether it be forced induction or changing to a big SR cam i'll have the capability to tune it.

It was a worthwhile investment for me personally because of how cheap I could do it and because i'm so invested in the lt1 platform now that I don't think I will ever change to LS.

Thanks Dwayne, just trying to keep it to facts.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 355z28
The setup is hit or miss...
Since when?

Maybe we have a different understanding of "hit or miss"? PCM tuners may be hit or miss. The 24x LT1 hardware/sensor kit does what it was designed to do...generate a 24x crank and 1x cam signal. Occasionally there have been aftermarket parts (double row timing sets) that have bad geometry and affected the crank reluctor placement, but that's not the fault of the 24x conversion kit. AND, most recently, with a new 24x LT1 kit that is more forgiving for non-stock timing set geometries, these worries are eliminated.

But to say the 24x LT1 kit is "hit or miss" is not right.

Last edited by S10Wildside; 02-08-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by S10Wildside
Since when?

Maybe we have a different understanding of "hit or miss"? PCM tuners may be hit or miss. The 24x LT1 hardware/sensor kit does what it was designed to do...generate a 24x crank and 1x cam signal. Occasionally there have been aftermarket parts (double row timing sets) that have bad geometry and affected the crank reluctor placement, but that's not the fault of the 24x conversion kit. AND, most recently, with a new 24x LT1 kit that is more forgiving for non-stock timing set geometries, these worries are eliminated.

But to say the 24x LT1 kit is "hit or miss" is not right.
I believe that he was talking about whether the setup is right for you or not is a hit or miss. Not talking about quality of components.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by S10Wildside
Since when?

Maybe we have a different understanding of "hit or miss"?
Easy Mike I'm saying whether going to 24x is needed for everyone. In no way am I unsatisfied with the product you produce. I'm just saying that for your average bolt on car there isn't an extreme advantage to it, the 2-3 bar tunes, more tuners etc are great.

Its not the "Best option" for everyone, however if you have the extra money and are looking to update systems I would highly recommend it.

I'm thinking my car needs to be at your guys vendor setup at car craft this year
Old 02-08-2014, 07:27 PM
FormerVendor

If EGR and EVAP are the only things that I will loose I can live with that. I was worried AC Cruse stock gauges ABS all that stuff.

As far as megasquirt and tuning on the fly goes a Moates Roadrunner LS1 PCM will allow
tuning on the fly. The only thing with this setup is it only works with EFI Live or TunerCat.
I don't know much about the TunerCat software but the EFI Live is as good as HPT or any other.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

I have no emission monitoring where I live, so EGR was going any way. But with removing the Evap system, is there any draw backs from getting away from it? What about the Evap vent on the TB and the return line back to the canister, what do you do with those?
Thanks!!
Old 02-09-2014, 07:04 PM
FormerVendor

I'm not expert but I think it's more eco friendly vent the tank into canister to kill the smelly gas fumes and burn the fumes when the motor is running by venting them into intake.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Default Help with non vented opti install

Sorry this is probaly not the right thread but I can't seem to figure out how to start my own I in stalled my new opti in my car yesterday and the car was running before the opti swap and today it won't start never has started since new opti it's splined I have gone over and over it I don't know what I could have done wrong getting a little weak spark getting fuel cranks but no start all wires connected when I removed it the first time I didn't know I was sopossed to mark anything so I may have messed up there I have key facing the top and opti flush please any ideas
Old 03-04-2014, 08:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

you can real time tune with HPT if you load their 1/2/3 bar custom os's
Old 03-04-2014, 08:24 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
you can real time tune with HPT if you load their 1/2/3 bar custom os's
That is interesting.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I always had an ignition issue previous to my engine build. Was running a unvented opti. When I built the motor I went to a 95 vented style opti with a GM opti and didn't have one issue for 10k miles. Got a wicked deal on a used 24x setup and put it to use. Only issue I has was burning wires with valvecover mount with my pacesetter lts on #2cyl as I couldn't run it straight down along the side of the motor it burnt and then when I ran it up and overtop it burnt. Other then that ran top notch even though I parted out the car the new owner of my motor with the 24x is very happy as he was having ignition problems.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would love the conversion but like someone already said it's not for everyone. The intent for my car is a HCI is as extreme as I would go and even still it's not a drag car. It will get ONE good tune and that's it. It will be a DD visiting the autocross/roade races when I can. So a 7K rpm ability does not appease to me very much.

I'm running what I know to be a 60K mi original opti in my 95Z on original water pump (I'd like to throw an electric pump on though). Doing this conversion will come down to how my opti holds up. If I am doing one every year...well I will get annoyed VERY quick lol.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

I did the 24X conversion a while back. One of the best mod I ever did for my 1994 camaro.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Can any of the tuning software listed above self tune?

I know it is a feature for the MegaSquirt 3 (maybe all i dunno)

Quick Reply: 24X Pros & Cons