Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharger Newb

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger Newb

I'm new to the forced induction world and need help. I recently acquired a D1SC with twin intercoolers for my ’99 Trans Am. I want to run this system safely. My car will never see a racetrack, nor will it be raced. I enjoy driving it and having power as well.

The motor is a LS1 stroked out to a 392. I have the LS6 intake, forged bottom, LS6 Patriot heads (64 cc), LS7 lifters, roller rockers, long tubes, 64 lb injectors, 11 to 1 compression. The cam is 238/310 @ 50 110 lobe separation and .604 lift.

The suspension is great, have everything in the aftermarket installed, lowered, and stiffened. The rear end is so/so and still in the works. I have a newly installed (last week) Spec stage 2 clutch assembly, flywheel, improved slave cylinder, and Tick Performance master cylinder. Also have upgraded fuel pump as well.

Is this set up going to be ok as is, or are new parts in my future? I am already making around 500 hp. I’m not looking to make super high numbers. Just don’t want to blow up my motor.

Last edited by ccso503; 02-08-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:45 PM
TECH Regular

That's a lot of C/R for pump fuel and boost. Unless you roll around with c16 in the tank or on methanol. What pulley set up are you planning on running? That D1 will be a tad on the small side for that size of an engine with that cam. That LSA isn't the most friendly for a blower either. Probably going to run out of injector too before you start making much more power with the charger.

I would make absolutely sure my tuner knew exactly what he was doing when I took him this set up. The tuning would probably be my most worry in this particular scenario.

What fuel pump are you running exactly?
Old 02-09-2014, 01:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BTLBABY

I would make absolutely sure my tuner knew exactly what he was doing when I took him this set up. The tuning would probably be my most worry in this particular scenario.

What fuel pump are you running exactly?
I don't have a tuner.....yet. This is part of the problem. I'd like to get an idea of what I need before finding one. closest one is prob in Dallas. Hard with schedule since I work nights and weekends.

I have one of the upgraded racetronix fuel pumps now.

Also going with the 8lb pulley?
Old 02-09-2014, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From what I have been told you should be fine on the fuel if you have a Racetronix fuel pump do you have the Hotwire Kit as well ?

That is with you only wanting to go with 500 HP is that at the flywheel or to the ground ?
Old 02-09-2014, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I see your local as well

<---------
Old 02-09-2014, 01:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sway99bird
From what I have been told you should be fine on the fuel if you have a Racetronix fuel pump do you have the Hotwire Kit as well ?

That is with you only wanting to go with 500 HP is that at the flywheel or to the ground ?

I do not have the hotwire kit. I'm making roughly 480 to the ground now. Or was a few years ago on the dyno.

Yes sir we're close to each other. Do you have any shops to recommend?
Old 02-09-2014, 06:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you're at 480 now, you'll make a LOT more than 500's with 8lbs
I've run 10.9cr for a couple of years with no problem, but I run 93 and meth injection. (new forged block awaiting install is 10.5)
Not sure how the fuel system compares to a Vette, but I run the Racetronic kit with hot wire on 700+rwhp and have not had an issue with dropping fuel pressure (But I am tuned meth dependant)
Not sure about that cam.....
Old 02-09-2014, 10:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

OP what fuel pump are you running exactly? That cam combined with your current compression won't like much boost. I'm running a Ractronix 255 Walbro pump with a hotwire kit, and that is good to around 600 rwhp max. I'm sitting around 550 rwhp and it works fine.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:39 AM
Teching In

I took a look at the wire kit for the fuel pump. Looks like something I'll end up doing. I have a feeling this is definitely something I cannot just "wing it". I appreciate all the feedback. I jumped into this thinking I could just slap that sucker on and run a small pulley and be good. I do think it will be in my best interest to find a professional that can suggest the proper set up.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:34 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, this unfortunately won't be something you can just wing. Not if you're wanting something reliable.

Boost and a high compression ratio "can" be a tricky animal on a street car. Meth injection would pretty much be a must have.

With you already making 500 at the wheels now. You could easily pick up a 100whp with that D1 on 8lbs. Probably more with supporting mods...

Quick Reply: Supercharger Newb