Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

is the factory deck that bad or is it my crap? wisdom inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default is the factory deck that bad or is it my crap? wisdom inside

ok, the run down, i have a 93 daytona im getting on the road again and am replacing all the stereo components that ive pilfered over the last 2 years. heres the list: pioneer tape deck/changer controls/12 disk changer
kicker 7 band eq (7 volt out)
kicker impules 6 1/4 door speakers
kicker tweeters high up on the windshield pillars
3 1/2" kicker resolutions in the dash
1 L7 12" sealed box
all small speakers ran off of a zr 240 crossed over at 100 hz @30 watts rms a speaker
sub is powered buy a kicker xs100 at 1ohm (1300 watts rms)

ok next car 2002 camaro............
factory monsoon deck
rockford fosgate fanatic q's tweeters in ac vents(far left and far right)
6 1/2 kicker resolutions in the doors (500 hz up)
6 1/2 rockford fosgate fanatic q's in the sail panels (bandbass cross over 100hz - 500hz)
12" kicker L7 in custom fiberglass box where spare tire went.
small speakers are powered buy a 2002 rockford fosgate power 551x. @75 watts rms a channel
L7 is powered by a 2001 rockford fosgate power 550s @ 600 watts (with a 1 farad capacitor)

now,my daytona sounds live and crisp, its vary vivid with all settings at zero. (the l7 slams like mad with 1300 watts!!!!!) the non sub speakers get louder and stay clearer also.

the camaro sounds flat no life in comparison. dont get me wrong the the last year i thought it sonded pretty good till i hoocked up the wifes summer ride. i know the bass is going to be way different with double the power but my camaro speakers are getting double (75 watts compared to 30) and the daytona just outshines it. so heres is my ?. do you think its the deck and line level converter? or does fosgate just plain sucks ***? my daytona is 100 % kicker while the camaro is a hybrid of the 2. i went with the power amps because of the small frame size so i could hide everthing behind panels and such. i kept the z's factory deck becoause of the steering wheel controls and the "factory deck security" (who would take it). any ideas? id just like to know for my own accord. if its the deck i can live with it but if its fosgate ill sledge hammer that **** and find some other set up. sorry so long and thanks in advance for any insight you may have.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:46 PM
Launching!

I have the fanatic Q's in my truck and they sound good. I have to imagine that the line level converters are a major source of the problem. Another thing though, Crossing over the front components at 500 Hz is incredibly high. Have you tried setting it up with just the front components and sub?
Also, how did you install the speakers in the front? Just replacing the stock speakers or did you build MDF rings to mount them to? I have not opened my doors up yet, but I've read here and elsewhere that a combo of sound deadening the doors and mounting the mids with a more secure mount improves response and midbass extension.
Finally, IIRC, the Q's are hungry speakers, they need power to move. They are rated at 100W RMS, so 125W would not be out of the question.

Basically, I'd say it's a combination of all of the above. Good luck getting the Camaro to sound good.

EDIT - I misread... How do you have the front speakers and sail speakers crossed over, exactly? Are you using the Fosgate Xover? I'd move the Q's to the door using their intended Xovers, and send them at least 100Hz and up. Try digging deeper too.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

in the camaro i have a mid bass setup. heres the crossover points....
sub = 100 hz down
(midbass)sail p.= 100 hz to @ 500 hz (amp set at 100 highpass with a kicker bandpass crossover)
doors= 500 hz to 5000? hz
tweets= 5000?hz up
my problem doesnt ly so much with the smaller speakers bass response its the (for lack of a better word) life of the sound. almost as its playing with a blanket over them.
the effiency of the components of both cars are nearly the same. the daytona you can crank it till you cant stand it and step out of the car and its clear.
the camaro just sounds muffeled at higher volumes. i know sq of every vehicle is different but im not talking about the base just clarity at volume.
could it be the line level converter? the fact that i tapped in after the monsoon amp? would a pac oem1 with the rca's at the factory deck improve anything? my cables are premiem, the line level converter is a peripheral systems.
i had to tap in after the amp because everytime i tried the input a got a weird crack a mid volume? keep the input coming! thanks

Last edited by ZDOG; 05-12-2004 at 08:54 AM.