Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Can I get guidance on if this is a good deal or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I get guidance on if this is a good deal or not?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-0-Lq4-Lq9-Supercharged-engine-w-auto-4l65e-complete-swap-turn-key-535hp-/111275999566?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e891014e
I saw this item on craigslist too. What hp will this make? Any off the bat concerns with this combo? I want it for a 70 camaro. Looking for 550+rwhp

Jason
Old 02-09-2014, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

These are the questions I asked "Can you tell me more about the package? Who built the engine, why are you selling, what pistons, rods, and crank are in it, what's the ptv clearance, who spec the cam, what valve train (lifters,valves, rockers) what front drive accessories are on the car (truck, Fbody, cts, etc) more info about trans and converter (stall, brand etc) also about wiring harness (brand, ECM) does it come with tune ready to run? Doing a 70 camaro swap and this is something that's intriguing. Sorry for the long text."

One more rookie question for you guys will I need inner cooler with this set up?
Old 02-10-2014, 06:28 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hes basically saying he used OE or OE type replacements (not forged is listed in the ad).

That is the smallest of the 3 commonly used magnason blowers, 550whp will be a slight stretch to reach with that setup, 550 crank is doable.

A stock LQ4/LQ9 is commonly pushed beyond 600whp with varying results, usually with a good tune, etc., the results are good - I'd advise research on your own because you may not be willing to live with the risks the way I am.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

550whp should be doable out of that setup with minor changes.

The engine itself is fine. 550 HP is well within its limits.
The main problem there is the transmission. The 4L60/65 isn't the best auto for big power. They can be built to handle some decent power, but usually a stock 4L80e will handle as much power as a decent built 4L60 will.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

who built the engine would be my concern-where is he getting the HP #'s, as I am sure it has never been run (says you tune)
Old 02-10-2014, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it was me I would want to inspect the motor before I purchased it. I am a skeptic when it comes to engines and transmissions. If I can't see it and verify it with my own eyes I question it. What one person says is slightly used might differ from what I think of is slightly used. Having said that I agree with what everyone else has said.

The trans can be built to handle the HP but a 4L80 would be better. If you want to avoid a controller for the trans you might consider a 200R4. They only require electronics for the lock-up. If the trans is as god as it says you could sell it to recover some of your expense and us that towards a different trans. Or install it the way it is and if it goes out on you then change it for something better. How long it might last depends on how you drive the car. A trans that won't hold up in a car frequently raced might be fine in a street cruiser.

I would want to know more about who assembled the engine.

Howards makes good cams but who spec'ed it?

If it is all that it says it is it might not be a bad deal.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Can I get guidance on if this is a good deal or not?