Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

a couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default a couple of questions

L96 is the subject

When deleting the vvt why does the LS2 timing cover have to be used?

My msd 6012 cam sensor plug does not fit the connector at the sensor. If I was to cut the keyway tab from the connector I could make it work but am not sure if the wire orientation would be correct
Old 02-09-2014, 01:41 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

No idea, I have used a ls2 gear on a gen IV but it was non DOD so without looking at one side by side (DOD VS non DOD), I didn't think their was a difference.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does your LS2 cover have the short extension piece on it like this? It sounds like you're trying to plug your 6012 harness directly into the sensor itself. My LS2 cover came set up as you see it below.

The whole reason for running this cover when deleting VVT on a Gen IV motor is because there is no provision or a cam position sensor at the back of the block like the Gen III motors. Did you pick up a 3-bolt 4x reluctor cam sprocket as well?
Old 02-09-2014, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jerrya
When deleting the vvt why does the LS2 timing cover have to be used?
I thought about your questions a little bit more and I'm thinking maybe you're asking why you can't just reuse the original VVT cover after deleting the VVT cam and phaser. Its because the cam position sensor on the VVT cover is spaced out to clear the VVT phaser. The VVT motors get their cam position signal from the phaser instead of a typical cam sprocket. Here is a pic each. You can see the phaser is much thicker than the standard sprocket and therefore needs a "bulge" in the VVT cover to clear it. This "bulge" would keep the cam position sensor too far away from the cam sprocket reluctor once the VVT phaser is gone.

Here's a profile shot of my motor with the VVT cover still in place. You can see how far out the cam position sensor is.

I hope that makes sense. I can't think of a better way to explain it right now.

Last edited by GC99TA; 02-09-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GC99TA
I thought about your questions a little bit more and I'm thinking maybe you're asking why you can't just reuse the original VVT cover after deleting the VVT cam and phaser. Its because the cam position sensor on the VVT cover is spaced out to clear the VVT phaser. The VVT motors get their cam position signal from the phaser instead of a typical cam sprocket. Here is a pic each. You can see the phaser is much thicker than the standard sprocket and therefore needs a "bulge" in the VVT cover to clear it. This "bulge" would keep the cam position sensor too far away from the cam sprocket reluctor once the VVT phaser is gone.

Here's a profile shot of my motor with the VVT cover still in place. You can see how far out the cam position sensor is.

I hope that makes sense. I can't think of a better way to explain it right now.
Ohh ok, that makes sense. I don't have the ls2 cover yet so I had nothing to compare to.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

On the msd deal, my gen 4 timing cover had a bracket much like yours with the cam sensor and another plug. These both run to a main plug that would connect to the oem harness. I assumed when I got the LS2 cover to delete the vvt I could use my cam sensor in that cover. The plug from the msd does not fit the sensor. Don't have my camera here, a picture would be best
Old 02-09-2014, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

The LS2 cover, if bought new under part number
12633906, should come with the sensor and extension piece just like the one I showed a pic of above. I think the plug on the VVT cover is different because it is also tied into the VVT, so I'm sure there is at least on additional wire. I'm working off of memory here though so I could be wrong about that.

Quick Reply: a couple of questions