General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant running low and backfire at high rpms?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant running low and backfire at high rpms?????

Before i start working on my car I'm just really curious what's going on i did research and asked for answers. Here's the deal every time i drive my car i gotta but coolant in cause it's always low after being driven I'm guessing blown head gasket?? And also when i get on it at high rpms car backfires? I've done research and read to check my plugs change my radiator cap. And do a pressure test on the coolant system. And do a combustion gas Leak test, I'm trying to pin point the answer and fix it! Thanks
Old 02-10-2014, 04:56 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Where are you measuring the coolant level? At the overflow, or at the radiator neck?
Old 02-11-2014, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
Where are you measuring the coolant level? At the overflow, or at the radiator neck?
Before this problem the coolant level was by the radiator's neck under the radiator cap. Now i have to keep pouring after i drive it cause it gets low?? I'm hoping it's not a head gasket and it's a bad hose or the water pump is slowly leaking. And the backfire could be due to bad plugs and needs new ones.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:38 PM
Save the manuals!

I'll bet that you have two separate problems.

If you have low coolant in the radiator, but your overflow is not empty, then something is putting gas in to your cooling system, your overflow siphon is bad, etc. The place to start is with the pressure test.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=wssix99;18012739]I'll bet that you have two separate problems.

If you have low coolant in the radiator, but your overflow is not empty, then something is putting gas in to your cooling system, your overflow siphon is bad, etc. The place to start is with the pressure test.[/QUOTE

The over flow is empty i have to pour about a cup or two of coolant after driving the further i drive the more i have to pour. And what do you think is causing the backfire?
Old 02-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Save the manuals!

Wow. That sounds like it could be a leaking head. Maybe a cylinder is filling up with enough coolant that not all the gas burns, leading to the backfire? They both could be relate, then.

Have you had any misfires?

I'd definitely get that pressure test done first and lick the coolant problem.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alberto v05
Before i start working on my car I'm just really curious what's going on i did research and asked for answers. Here's the deal every time i drive my car i gotta but coolant in cause it's always low after being driven I'm guessing blown head gasket?? And also when i get on it at high rpms car backfires? I've done research and read to check my plugs change my radiator cap. And do a pressure test on the coolant system. And do a combustion gas Leak test, I'm trying to pin point the answer and fix it! Thanks
My guess is a leaky water pump. As mentioned, put a pressure tester on it.

As far as the backfire, could be alot of things but if it is burning coolant it should be smoking out the tailpipes...

How many miles on your engine? Honestly, I consider it very rare to see a blown head gasket on an LS1 unless it is very high mileage or it overheated, boosted. Mine has 275K and never had any head gasket issues.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
Wow. That sounds like it could be a leaking head. Maybe a cylinder is filling up with enough coolant that not all the gas burns, leading to the backfire? They both could be relate, then.

Have you had any misfires?

I'd definitely get that pressure test done first and lick the coolant problem.
I will do a pressure test. Thanks for the help man
Old 02-15-2014, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
My guess is a leaky water pump. As mentioned, put a pressure tester on it.

As far as the backfire, could be alot of things but if it is burning coolant it should be smoking out the tailpipes...

How many miles on your engine? Honestly, I consider it very rare to see a blown head gasket on an LS1 unless it is very high mileage or it overheated, boosted. Mine has 275K and never had any head gasket issues.
I"ma do a pressure test. And it has 136k and yeah so i think it's a leaky water pump too. Thanks for the advice
Old 02-24-2014, 07:34 PM
12 Second Club

stop driving it.

Quick Reply: Coolant running low and backfire at high rpms?????