Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

turbo ls1 cooling help

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo ls1 cooling help

I recently got my blowthru ls1 finished, took it to frank at psi speed solutions (who was an awesome guy to deal with and recommended to everyone) to dyno tune it. Made a couple pulls and anti freeze was spewing out of tiny hole in overflow cap. Half the time it would push out during a pull and half the time it wouldn't. This is my first LS build and I'm looking for some input.

I've got a griffin radiator that I capped off the fill and am using a remote mount thermostat setup from moroso and a moroso remote mount billet electric water pump. I've got the steam lines going to the side of the thermostat housing. The bottom of the housing has two -12 fittings that go to the top two ports on the block and the bottom two ports go back to the water pump. The lower rad hose supplies the pump and the pump is mounted very low down by the skid plate. I have a 16 psi rad cap.

Is all my routing right or am I off the mark somewhere? I'd hate to think that I blew a head gasket already or heads are lifting, it only had a couple miles on the motor and than the dyno pulls but anything is possible. Or do I just need a higher pressure cap?
Old 02-13-2014, 06:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

I would do a test on the coolant for combustion gasses first.... Quick, easy, and cheap. You can get a test kit at most auto parts stores.
Really don't think it's the cap PSI....but could try another cap of the same size first, since it could be bad from the factory.

http://www.toolfetch.com/lisle-75500...FaxxOgodF24A2Q
Old 02-13-2014, 07:01 AM
10 Second Club

I would test the cap first. And, do you have that tiny hole hooked to an overflow bottle? Coolant will expand when warm. Just a couple of ideas. Good luck. Eric L
Old 02-13-2014, 08:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Prorac1
I would test the cap first. And, do you have that tiny hole hooked to an overflow bottle? Coolant will expand when warm. Just a couple of ideas. Good luck. Eric L
+1. It should push coolant out the overflow line as it heats up. An overflow bottle lets it suck back in as it cools. Should be close to a quart of coolant that can move this way.

On the up side this shows you probably got all the air out of the system.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:54 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Post up a picture of your cooling set up.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Yes.... didn't think about he could have over filled the cooling system
Level is "usually" about 1" down from the cap...and not all caps are for a recirculating system.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Prorac1
The tiny hole is in the overflow cap. It doesn't seem like its pulling back into the system like it should though. Maybe I've got too much fluid like said before and once it expands, the overflow I have may not be big enough. Could be an easy fix...
Old 02-14-2014, 12:25 AM
Teching In

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-14-2014, 12:26 AM
Teching In

The hose on left side of remote mount rad cap comes from steam lines
Old 02-14-2014, 12:27 AM
Teching In

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-17-2014, 01:45 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your plumbing sounds to be routed correctly, mine is same: 2 #12's from top 2 block ports to the thermostat housing, then into top of rad. Bottom of rad into pump,which pushes into bottom 2 holes on block.
do you have at least 1 small hole drilled into the thermostat to prevent airlocks? Thats what I think is happening - airlock.

Quick Reply: turbo ls1 cooling help