Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0L Truck wire harnes conversion

Old 02-12-2014, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0L Truck wire harnes conversion

Looking for advise.

Built a 6.0L engine for my street rod. I have a LS6 car intake.

I am currently looking to modify and cut out all wires on the original Truck wire harness. I am using a lot of good info from Lt1swap.com

A lot of people say you can't make the truck harness look good with the car intake?

Has anyone successfully used the truck harness on the LS6 intake? If so any good sources to go off of?

If I need to get a car harness where is the best place. I have looked at all the local yards around and they either don't have anything or don't want to split the harness from the engine. Where is a good place to try and get a car harness if the truck harness is not the way to go?

Trever
Old 02-13-2014, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

The truck harness is really not that great to look at, flip it upside down and backwards and extend a bunch of wires. I spent a lot of time and frustration trying to get it to run right, then my black lab chewed the sh$t out of it. I just bit the bullet and found one on EBay for $300 plus $25 for the ride. Most of the time u can find them there for 3-350.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Will I need to get a new PCM? Or can I still use the one out of the 2003 Truck I have? I am going to use the drive by wire.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can sell you a brand new harness with relay pack and fuse block that looks way better then any factory harness for $750. Keep in mind, whatever year engine that harness came off, reflects its age. I wouldn't pay $350 for a used 10 year old harness that still needs to be heavily modified...
Old 02-14-2014, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Could I still use my 2003 truck PCM with the harness?
Old 02-15-2014, 04:12 PM
Teching In

I dont know if this helps at all, but...
I recently rebuilt a truck harness for the LQ4 that Im putting in my Jeep, I ended up using this stuff called Nylon Multi-Filament Sleeving made by Techflex that looks sick IMHO.
http://www.wirecare.com/products.asp?prodline=nm

Unless you have an insane amount of patience, or, you're extremely stubborn, I would just loom up the visible sections with this, doing the whole thing back to the PCM connector is a major PITA (trust me).

Here are some pics, I dont have any of it installed yet but they probably wouldnt help you much since its a truck intake, and you cant see a lot of it since its tucked up under the fuel rails.
http://imgur.com/a/gb9tn
Old 02-16-2014, 07:38 AM
Staging Lane

Wow that looks real clean. That is not where the truck harness normally runs is it? This would work on my LS6 intake but did you have to extend a bunch of wires to get the wires to lay there?
Old 02-16-2014, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Thanks!
No it isnt, I pulled the entire harness apart, connected everything to the engine, routed the wires where I waned them, and then bunched everything up behind the intake. It helped to run everything that goes to one part of the engine in a group, ie Odd/Even side injectors and coil packs, front sensors, rear sensors. Its kind of hard to see, but in the second to last picture , in the trunk of wires going back to the pcm, you can see i have velcro straps around bunches of wire inside the bigger bunch. If you can do it on an engine stand its even easier.

Its not to bad doing the splicing, I had a spool of 1/8" inch heat shrink and spent an afternoon in font of the tv with a soldering iron lining everything up. Lineman (aka Western Union) splices are your friend here, they take up a lot less space than using the crimp splices.

Another tip if you end up going this route would be to not cut everything in the same spot in the harness, stagger the cuts a bit so you dont end up with a bunch of splices in the same spot.

The loom was a pain because I had to pull it all apart again and install the loom from the pcm side since I didnt want to try and remove the pins from all the engine side connectors. Being it came of an '03 , I knew I would end up breaking some, and from what Ive seen, most places want an arm and a leg for connector pigtails.

Here are some more pictures of the setup im using, I had the rest of the electrical system laid out with the engine harness to do a smoke test.
http://imgur.com/a/n6tcP
Old 02-16-2014, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

That relay box is crazy!!! is that the entire fuse block and all relays in one box? How did you build that?
Old 02-17-2014, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

You did an awesome job. What are all the switches for?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6.0L Truck wire harnes conversion