Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads/valve question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 12:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads/valve question

Ok Guys I may have done a bad thing, Im a newb when it comes to heads unfortunately.

So Recently I was given a set of 241 heads that I was going to have milled and slightly ported. I disassembled the head because I was going to put new springs on obviously but what I forgot to do was keep all the valves in order, stupid I know. I took them to the machine shop and thats when I learned that this was a problem.. If I have to spend a bunch of money on the shop figuring out what valves go where than I would rather just save that and buy some 243's

Is it really that big of a deal? honestly? what are the risks?
what happens if I just put the valves back in aside from not getting a perfect seal. obviously the parts wear together.
I need some advice
Old 02-13-2014, 02:09 AM
Staging Lane

If you are getting a valve job done its not a big deal because they should lap the valves in or at the least check for contact on the valve seat.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:20 AM
TECH Resident

OP How many sections are you going to post this in?
Old 02-13-2014, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

Just two, its kind of urgent because I dont know what I should tell the shop.. im not sure if they are even worth fixing for me.
Let me throw out this scenario. Say I just had them clean and mill the heads and then I just threw the valves back in with new springs.. I can lap the valves myself but what kind of issues could I run into doing that?
Old 02-14-2014, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

nobody?
Old 02-14-2014, 04:47 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Hmmm. I personally wouldn't worry about it. I had a snafoo just like that that with my AFR 205's.

Took them off the table and COMPLETELY FORGOT the springs and keepers were gone... Yeah. Valves make a funny sound when they fall and hit the deck

I just threw everything back together and ran em. Made power.

Would I do that again? Probably NOT. Is this advice? NO. Just finally had a chance to share that story...
Old 02-14-2014, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jarren_b
Just two, its kind of urgent because I dont know what I should tell the shop.. im not sure if they are even worth fixing for me.
Let me throw out this scenario. Say I just had them clean and mill the heads and then I just threw the valves back in with new springs.. I can lap the valves myself but what kind of issues could I run into doing that?
As long as you Dykem the valve seats, then lap them properly, I wouldn't see any issues. This is all you do with new valves anyways.

Quick Reply: Heads/valve question