Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Help me estimate how much paint (etc) I need

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me estimate how much paint (etc) I need

Long story short, my cousin owes me some body work and he is dragging his feet. He is going to be painting the whole rear bumper cover (stock Red) along with the full CETA mod (sail panel, side mirrors and rear bumper section).

I have the money, and before I spend it on something else, I want to go ahead and start getting all the materials I can.

So how much primer, red, black and clear/hardener will I need? I was guessing a pint of red and black, and a qrt of primer/clear? ...but I really dont have any idea how much coverage one can get out of paint.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It varies on what kind of paint your using, so the bottom section of the bumper,sail and mirrors going black, and the top of the bumper going red? What finish are you wanting the bottom of the bumper gloss?or satin finish.
It want take much primer but you need to use a descent 2k primer and more than likely have to buy a gallon/w hardner/reducer. Same with clear, you might get lucky and find some at a paint store in quart sizes but I dought it. You don't have to get the top of the line but my suggestion would be to ask your cousin what he prefers since he's spaying it. Use a quality base though, ppg/sherwin williams/spies hecker/sikens are all good. It's also dependent on what spray guns ect. your cousin will use for the base but to be on the safe side 20oz. Reduced on red and 20 on the black should be more than enough. You can probably get away with a pint(16oz) apiece but I say 20 because to many variables( paint brand,gun choice,air, and how the painter sprays). If you want the bottom of the bumper satin black you can tape off after clear has dried for a couple of days and scuff and clean,and then spray can with some good spray can black like worth or crest satin black.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Help me estimate how much paint (etc) I need