Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this all I need for headers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Came across this nice cheap set of headers on ws6store.com with free shipping to boot.

I only want long tubes on my car, dunno why people ever decided to get shortys or mid length.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...ystem-chrome-/

Is everything included in that? Says it has the harness, installation tools, headers, CONNECTING offroad y-pipe.

Am I missing anything?

Current mods to the car - SLP loudmouth 1 SLP lid, Ported and polished throttle body.

What's a local shop charge to install these usually? Also, you think I will need a tune after it's installed?

Also, what's the estimated horsepower gain from adding headers with my current setup? Think it will be too loud or raspy with longtubes?
Old 02-14-2014, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You sure you want this combo lol? I had the LM1 with long tubes and ORY and it was retarded loud and raspy lol
Old 02-14-2014, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
You sure you want this combo lol? I had the LM1 with long tubes and ORY and it was retarded loud and raspy lol
Is it really that loud? Should I replace the LM1 resonator with something? If so, what?

Or, would it be quieter if I just got a hi-flow catted y-pipe instead? Looks like those are harder to come by.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well what I did was replaced the LM1 with a Magnaflow 14419 (same dimentions as the LM1) then added a Flomaster merge to my Pacesetter ORY. Sounds MUCH better now lol!! Oh... and yes it really is that loud lol
Old 02-14-2014, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Well what I did was replaced the LM1 with a Magnaflow 14419 (same dimentions as the LM1) then added a Flomaster merge to my Pacesetter ORY. Sounds MUCH better now lol!! Oh... and yes it really is that loud lol
do you have a sound clip of your car when it was just headers?
Old 02-14-2014, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

You mean with the LM1, ORY, and headers? If so yes I do, but I don't have one with the new setup yet
Old 02-14-2014, 09:11 PM
Teching In

You mean with the LM1, ORY, and headers? If so yes I do, but I don't have one with the new setup yet
Ok cool. Can you link me to it? I'd like to hear it.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's a really small idle and rev clip, but hopefully it will help a bit.

http://s560.photobucket.com/user/rab..._1686.mp4.html
Old 02-15-2014, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a really small idle and rev clip, but hopefully it will help a bit.

http://s560.photobucket.com/user/rab..._1686.mp4.html
Music to my ears I demand a video of the new setup! lol

Originally Posted by Bill Smoke
Is it really that loud?
This is with LTs, ORY, and LM1...it's screaming loud lol..i blew my ears out in this video

http://youtu.be/RchdjwGLtIQ

And this is the current setup

http://youtu.be/3a_JvAN9rek
Old 02-17-2014, 11:02 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd look at the Speed Engineering LT's. The BBK is nice, but their y-pipe is only 2.5" vs. Speed Engineering 3". Further, Speed Engineering are stainless.

I'd also suggest polyurethane motor mounts and new plugs while you're in there; also new wires if they've got some miles or look rough. While a tune is not "required," it'd certainly help make the most of the new exhaust. It will also remove codes for no converters, AIR, and EGR (if you're a 98-00).
Old 02-18-2014, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I'd look at the Speed Engineering LT's. The BBK is nice, but their y-pipe is only 2.5" vs. Speed Engineering 3". Further, Speed Engineering are stainless.

I'd also suggest polyurethane motor mounts and new plugs while you're in there; also new wires if they've got some miles or look rough. While a tune is not "required," it'd certainly help make the most of the new exhaust. It will also remove codes for no converters, AIR, and EGR (if you're a 98-00).
What kinds of gains are you looking at for a 2.5 vs a 3? Wouldn't a larger y-pipe decrease low end torque? Stainless steel is nice though.

What's the advantage of polyurethane mounts? I heard some people say it makes the car ride too rough. I'm about to get the plugs and wires done, my car is overdue for that.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

I've done about 3 header installs on these cars and BBK were by far the easiest to install. The hardest part of it is getting the old exhaust out. I'd spend a little more and at least get the ceramic coated ones.

I'd also pick up some GM MLS gaskets and o2 extensions, both of which are available on Ws6store.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:45 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

What kinds of gains are you looking at for a 2.5 vs a 3? Wouldn't a larger y-pipe decrease low end torque? Stainless steel is nice though.

What's the advantage of polyurethane mounts? I heard some people say it makes the car ride too rough. I'm about to get the plugs and wires done, my car is overdue for that.
While I do not know if anyone has provided empirical evidence to quantify 3" vs. 2.5" pipes, I can guarantee you'll be able to find many technical posts by searching the forum explaining inside diameters, where torque/hp is made, etc.

As for poly mounts, the factory rubber mounts sag and compress over time. This is generally the cause of any banging or rubbing of header primary tubes. Replacing the mounts ensures nothing is slopping around. Further, I noticed absolutely zero drivetrain vibration after adding poly mounts.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slikrider20
I've done about 3 header installs on these cars and BBK were by far the easiest to install. The hardest part of it is getting the old exhaust out. I'd spend a little more and at least get the ceramic coated ones.

I'd also pick up some GM MLS gaskets and o2 extensions, both of which are available on Ws6store.
What is the advantage of going ceramic coated?

02 extensions are for the codes, right? I'll be getting those for sure.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by demonspeed

Keep in mind that the 2.5" pipes are NOT the first restriction, the 3" y-pipe exit and 3" cat-back exhaust is. So unless you going to use a larger y-pipe exit and a similarly sized cat-back with the 3" Y-pipe inlets you're still stuck with the same single 3" cat-back which is the first restriction. What that means is the 3" pipe vs. 2.5" pipe benefit is still minimal until the bottle neck is eliminated.

BTW, go with the poly motor mounts, they're worth the effort to install a set.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

What is the advantage of going ceramic coated?

02 extensions are for the codes, right? I'll be getting those for sure.
Chrome doesn't hold up to the heat nearly as well, plus they'll turn into rainbow colors pretty soon. The ceramic coating will help keep the engine temp down considerably.

The o2 extensions are for the front o2's. The bunghole for the o2 is obviously a lot further back with longtubes.

You'll have to get the rear o2's deleted though. I think it costs $50-75 or so depending on where you go.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:15 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Keep in mind that the 2.5" pipes are NOT the first restriction, the 3" y-pipe exit and 3" cat-back exhaust is. So unless you going to use a larger y-pipe exit and a similarly sized cat-back with the 3" Y-pipe inlets you're still stuck with the same single 3" cat-back which is the first restriction. What that means is the 3" pipe vs. 2.5" pipe benefit is still minimal until the bottle neck is eliminated.
True.

I'm thinking, however, that for the cost between BBK and Speed Engineering, it makes sense to just go with the latter.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, stainless steel headers are the way to go, especially back east with the high humidity and all the salt on the roads during the winter.

Quick Reply: Is this all I need for headers?