Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Trans Exploded!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans Exploded!!!

Well the title is a little misleading, as the trans didn't technically explode, but it damn sure sounded like it.

Driving to court in VA on I-95 at about 9am, temp around 20 degrees, and at 75mph, the car jerked very violently twice in concert with 2 loud bangs. I thought the throwout bearing exploded for some reason. Pushed the clutch in, no issues, no weird noises. Pull over to the shoulder, no fluids of any sort leaking. Pull off and shift through the gears, no issues except a slight noise from under the car. Get up to about 65mph, and the noise from the trans gets louder, but not ridiculously loud. Sounds like something is loose near the rear of the trans. I make it to court, and come back out, and try to back out of the parking space. The shifter goes into reverse just fine, so I let the clutch out slowly, and start backing up, and it pops out of reverse. The shifter itself doesnt move, the TRANS pops out of reverse and starts grinding. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Sounds about time for a rebuild regardless.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:17 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds familiar...welcome to the club! Here's what happened to mine:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...cs-inside.html

Tear it apart first...you may be better off with a replacement unit if too many hard parts are broken. Our units are specific and rare, making many parts noninterchangeable and expensive.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DMM
Sounds familiar...welcome to the club! Here's what happened to mine:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...cs-inside.html

Tear it apart first...you may be better off with a replacement unit if too many hard parts are broken. Our units are specific and rare, making many parts noninterchangeable and expensive.
Sounds about right...felt like the trans locked up for a split second...I'm talking to someone about one right now, trying to see what kind of deal I can get. I was hoping it was something simple, but I should have known better. In this hobby, it never is.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i'd pull the trans and check the pressure plate before ordering a new one.

i'm probably wrong on that, but that just sounds goofy for it to have continued to drive.

how does it feel when you put it into gear when the engine is running?
Old 02-17-2014, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RADEoN
i'd pull the trans and check the pressure plate before ordering a new one.

i'm probably wrong on that, but that just sounds goofy for it to have continued to drive.

how does it feel when you put it into gear when the engine is running?
It feels fine when putting it into gear, besides 3-4 feels just a slight bit notchier than normal. Hell it goes into reverse easier than ever before!!! Just slides right in there (no pun intended). I used to have a problem going into reverse before, not a consistent problem, but it would rear its ugly head every once in a while. It'd just be kinds tough going in, or wouldn't go in at all. Had to put it in another gear, slightly engage the clutch to get it to move ever so slightly, and then it would slide into reverse with a normal feel.

Quick Reply: Trans Exploded!!!