LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Paxton on 30th anni. Z28

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paxton on 30th anni. Z28

Guys-I'm fixing to pull the trigger in the install of a Paxton SN92 on my LT1 and I'm looking for some feedback on the install and any potential problems that I may run into.

I did a search on here and there wasn't much that came back. I'm looking for dyno numbers to expect,plugs to use,boost gauge, and maybe a tuner.

Mods.
Pacesetter LT
Holley Twin 52 TB
Magnaflow muffler WITH 3" pipe

Thanks Fellas,
Attached Thumbnails Paxton on 30th anni. Z28-image-368016946.jpg  
Old 02-15-2014, 06:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tread carefully, the high compression ratio and stock Hyper pistons aren't the best combo for FI. It's fun for a while and then your dipstick won't stay in the tube any more!
Old 02-18-2014, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

I'd look into a good intercooler, MSD boost timing master, a good custom tune, 30# or better injectors, and possibly methanol/water injection kit or else you may be doing a engine rebuild sooner than you'd like. The forced induction stock lt1 build don't seem to last very long. 6# of boost, stock cam, maybe 375 RWHP?
Old 02-18-2014, 02:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id be looking into a forged bottom end and a CR adjustment first. Or else likely, KaBoOm.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

The hardest part you should have is finding a great tuner. The tune will make or break your setup. Keep the boost conservative, and don't abuse it. Do that and it will last a long time and be reliable. TR6 is a good plug to use. Get a good intercooler to keep the temps down. I like cheap boost gauges because it really doesn't matter. It is only good for being able to watch/keep out of boost for decent fuel mileage. I say keep your eyes on the road. There are enough idiots out there without adding to them.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That blower kit hasn't really been around since the late 90s, I would be a bit worried far as support goes, prepare to be on your own. I have only seen one car in Houston with one of those Paxton kits and it was in '03ish. Paxton it self is still around and the more modern head units are used a lot in Corvette stuff. Most people had Vortech or ATI Procharger kits, a lot of the third gen guys in the 90s had them, the tell tale sign of a Paxton was added injectors behind the TB.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

T56 - 400
A4- 375

Intercooler and a good meth kit and you could run more boost and timing and be fine. A lot of motor mishaps is driver error and not watching you af. Good gas is a must to keep your stock short block alive so is a good tune. Tune is the hardest part of building. Ltx engine.

Compression test
Read plugs
Make sure ignition is up to par

Do those before you boost. And dont use a fuel management unit it stresses the stock injectors out, i would get a minimum 60lb injector. Walbro 255 or better, and a adjustible fuel regulator can be very handy while dialing it in.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by guppymech
Tread carefully, the high compression ratio and stock Hyper pistons aren't the best combo for FI. It's fun for a while and then your dipstick won't stay in the tube any more!
Thanks for the heads up..
Originally Posted by ahritchie
I'd look into a good intercooler, MSD boost timing master, a good custom tune, 30# or better injectors, and possibly methanol/water injection kit or else you may be doing a engine rebuild sooner than you'd like. The forced induction stock lt1 build don't seem to last very long. 6# of boost, stock cam, maybe 375 RWHP?
I'm talking to a local tuner and he's advising that i don't need the MSD box and he can tune it without it. 375???thats it?
Originally Posted by wrd1972
Id be looking into a forged bottom end and a CR adjustment first. Or else likely, KaBoOm.
LOL..whats a CR adjustment?
Originally Posted by nitrous2fast
The hardest part you should have is finding a great tuner. The tune will make or break your setup. Keep the boost conservative, and don't abuse it. Do that and it will last a long time and be reliable. TR6 is a good plug to use. Get a good intercooler to keep the temps down. I like cheap boost gauges because it really doesn't matter. It is only good for being able to watch/keep out of boost for decent fuel mileage. I say keep your eyes on the road. There are enough idiots out there without adding to them.
this kit doesn't have a intercooler...Can i just add one?
Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
That blower kit hasn't really been around since the late 90s, I would be a bit worried far as support goes, prepare to be on your own. I have only seen one car in Houston with one of those Paxton kits and it was in '03ish. Paxton it self is still around and the more modern head units are used a lot in Corvette stuff. Most people had Vortech or ATI Procharger kits, a lot of the third gen guys in the 90s had them, the tell tale sign of a Paxton was added injectors behind the TB.
I believe the 2200 is a more popular head unit but i figured with this unit i can stay around #5 and prolong the life of my motor as much as possible and still have a lil fun....
Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
T56 - 400 A4- 375 Intercooler and a good meth kit and you could run more boost and timing and be fine. A lot of motor mishaps is driver error and not watching you af. Good gas is a must to keep your stock short block alive so is a good tune. Tune is the hardest part of building. Ltx engine. Compression test Read plugs Make sure ignition is up to par Do those before you boost. And dont use a fuel management unit it stresses the stock injectors out, i would get a minimum 60lb injector. Walbro 255 or better, and a adjustible fuel regulator can be very handy while dialing it in.
Ignition and plugs are next and then i'll start savin for the tune.. #60 a lil overkill for #5psi?? Def. a Walboro and the kit came with a fuel regulator..

Last edited by renzos23; 02-20-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CR = Compression ratio. 10.5 and higher typically is not desirable for boost. Like another said, the tune is hyper critical especially with the stock compression ratio but even then, your gonna be on borrowed time. Many people who run boost lower their CR by using dished pistons or heads with larger combustion chambers.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Damn I hate the odds here..... I'm thinking of selling off and putting that money into a LS3/LS2 set up.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can switch to a thicker Head Gasket and lower the CR a bit. I love both of my boosted vehicles. Making awesome power with smaller heads and cam while getting decent fuel mileage is always great. that's just my .02
Old 02-21-2014, 10:24 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by renzos23
Damn I hate the odds here..... I'm thinking of selling off and putting that money into a LS3/LS2 set up.
Depending on how much you're planning to spend on the Paxton, You can get over 400 rwhp with some heads and a cam swap that would be perfect on the stock bottom end. Don't give up on the LT1 just yet!
Old 02-21-2014, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I said 60 bc once you go boost you will want more, so why biy parts twice?

My sts lt1 stock short block on 10psi with 7-306-8 cam, le2 heads small stall made 526rwhp for over 2year. But if i ws to do it all over again ls engine= way more boost and less hassle. In long run

Quick Reply: Paxton on 30th anni. Z28