Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering leak

HOw do i go about fixing this problem ? its an '00 z28
Old 02-16-2014, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

Can you tell WHERE it is leaking from??

IF it is the rack/rack seals, you will sadly enough have to replace the WHOLE rack, as most/all of the 'mechanic in a bottle' fixes will NOT even BEGIN to slow these leaks down, but IF you want to try one, the ONLY one I've ever even heard of slowing down (but NOT 'curing') a rack seal leak is the ATP-205 Reseal product.

TOTALLY avoid the Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak if you are in a frigid part of the country as this stuff is SOOOOO damned thick/viscous it will KILL your p.s. pump on start up in 25* F or colder temps (it turns to a Jello like state, or thicker at these temps).
Old 02-17-2014, 01:42 AM
Launching!

Is the leak ...leaking fluid or is the leak allowing air into the system ????? in which case you might have to replace the P/S pump or the inline p/s cooler that shares with the radiator fluid(doesnt really work effectively)....you can try disassembly of the p/s pump/reservoir and replace the seals but its a PITA and the seal kits arent always good QUALITy for the time and effort it takes to take it apart and piece it back together. I bought a reman from advanced for 100$ 2 years ago still havent had a problem.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:20 AM
Teching In

I just got done fixing my PS leak over the weekend, it was my pressure line, got all the info I needed on replacing it from this site, also, my alternator went out at the same time... All in all, took 2 hours with a friend to replace both.

Get in your car and have a friend look in your engine bay/under your car, then turn the wheel full lock left and right, to see where the leak is coming from. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:08 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Can you tell WHERE it is leaking from??
This. We can point you in the right direction once you figure this out.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kramsdell
I just got done fixing my PS leak over the weekend, it was my pressure line, got all the info I needed on replacing it from this site, also, my alternator went out at the same time... All in all, took 2 hours with a friend to replace both.

Get in your car and have a friend look in your engine bay/under your car, then turn the wheel full lock left and right, to see where the leak is coming from. Good luck.
Do I do this while the car is on ?
Old 02-17-2014, 09:23 PM
Teching In

And yes it is leaking fluid . I'll post pictures soon .

Quick Reply: Power steering leak