Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 to 1979 K10 questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 to 1979 K10 questions

This is my first LS swap and have a few questions after countless hours of reading on-line, and finding little info for this swap. Plenty of 2wd C10's though.

Subject
1979 K10 SWB 4x4 manual SM465 205 transfer case 2.5" spring lift on 33x12.5's

Just acquired a 2000 6.0 out of 2500HD with complete harness. Brackets and belt tensioner / idlers present, PS pump only accessory included.

I'm sure I can find most of the information I will need, still torn on keeping FI or going carb, and really haven't found info on converting newer style alternator to older system, but really need help finding headers that will fit. Plenty of threads / information on C10's not so much for 4x4's. Heck the C10's have complete kits out there. Really concerned about interference with old school mechanical clutch linkage, and tranny and t-case cross members.

This will be a toy, but really wanting it to be very streetable and fun to drive. You guys seem to be the experts (several forums have pointed me here, and there is a wealth of info within these pages), and any help, suggestions, and info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Im in a similar swap right now, except in an 80 1/2 ton 4wd. I'm using the Hooker 1.25" forward and .5" up mounts. Engine came out of a 99 1/2 ton 4wd and am reusing the stock pan. It clears! Headers are TSP stainless for LS3 camaro and require a slight easy trim from the top of the pass side frame rail. Definitely stay with efi! Your'e right though, finding decent resources on swapping into the 4wd's seem scarce. Good luck!
Old 02-17-2014, 03:03 AM

What tranny are you using as from what I gathered I would need to go back with my motor at least an inch to mate with mine in stock location. I may be wrong on that, and have not test fit yet. Also I have read that I can use a stock flywheel out of a 4.8 to avoid using the much more expensive plus 0.400" swap flywheel?
Old 02-17-2014, 06:52 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lot of guys doing ls swaps over on www.coloradok5.com . there is engine swap section and also the driveway section for big build threads.

and we even had a member get his ride used for test / proto type mule for headers you can buy now for bolt in and clear no mode . doug Thorley if I recall.

lots of guys no problems on oil pan .

I used stock truck manifolds on my 2wd build no problems . no fancy car headers . that build is here also as well as there .

keep efi man . its easy .

87 tbi fuel tank for your style truck / sender unit new minus pump for the tbi / 96c3500 350 vortec replacement fuel pump and install directly on 87 tbi sender like factory . bam you got pump needs fixed and factory style setup .
Old 02-17-2014, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

I'm using a universal tubular LS mount cross member for the engine and made my own trans cross member. Doug Thorley LS swap long tube headers. Can't comment on clutch linkage clearance issues though as I'm running a 4l80e. Did the swap about 7 years ago and haven't had any issues. My truck is the previous gen from you, but most swap issues should be the same.

Quick Reply: LQ4 to 1979 K10 questions