LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 ICM wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 ICM wiring

So here is the story. Last summer I was having issues with my Lt1 stalling on me while driving. I originally thought it was the ICM, so I replaced the ICM coil and coil wire. Turns out it was the opti. Replaced that Car started and ran good. One day I was pulling out of my grandpas driveway when it stalled on the road again. It would crank crank but not fire. I finally got it to start and run again after re adjusting the ICM wires and plug... I wiggled them while the car was running and it stalled again. fed up with the car I put it away for 3 months becuase i was leaving for boot camp. When I came back it was winter here and the car started ran fine no problems for a month before i left again. I'm starting to wonder if maybe the ICM wires/connector are bad or maybe have a bad ground somewhere because they seemed to act up in the heat of summer but not the cold of winter. Is this possible? its the original 20 year old wiring, not to mention I have headers letting off more heat in the engine bay then stock manifolds, so it gets HOT under the hood in the summer. If it is possible the wiring is bad is it possible to replace it without buying a completely new wiring harness? (altho that might now be a bad idea considering all the wiring is 20 years old) Thanks for any advise guys. I'm young and fairly new to everything and don't know a whole lot
Old 02-21-2014, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

2 grounds for this piece of the harness- one at the stud for the ICM heatsink/backing plate (2 studs hold it on the driver's side head) and a braided copper ground that goes to the driver's side framerail below/ outboard of the ABS pump/modulator & AIR pump assembly. Might try removing it and cleaning its contact point with the body if it looks crudded up and everything else looks right/ has continuity.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Check the spring tension of the ICM plug terminals and the connection of the wires to the terminals, themselves. ICM connector pigtails are available if you need it.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where can I find them? and are they hard to install yourself?
Old 02-23-2014, 01:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoslerkamaro
where can I find them? and are they hard to install yourself?
Eficonnection is one place you can get one. I would solder and heatshrink a new one on, if needed.

Quick Reply: Lt1 ICM wiring