Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

valve laper

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default valve laper

i resently sent my heads to the shop for cleanign and i just got them back. My question is do i really need to lap the valves before putting them in the heads if they look like they are brand new again??
Old 05-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Banned

Well I wouldn't lap the valves, I would have somebody 3 angle the valve seats and grind the valves. Course if they look new, why not the motor is disassembled. You can check the valve margin, take a sharpie marker or prussian blue color the valve seat, then install the valve turn it round couple times. Once you take the valve out you will see how your valve seats look, the repair manual will have a list of specifics for the valve margin where it should be on the seat thickness etc.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fullfloatingHD
Well I wouldn't lap the valves, I would have somebody 3 angle the valve seats and grind the valves. Course if they look new, why not the motor is disassembled. You can check the valve margin, take a sharpie marker or prussian blue color the valve seat, then install the valve turn it round couple times. Once you take the valve out you will see how your valve seats look, the repair manual will have a list of specifics for the valve margin where it should be on the seat thickness etc.
the seat is fine i just need to grind it into it so i wont have any back wash and they match up identically (the seat and the balve) money is short so iam just lapping the valve into the seat would this be enough??

Last edited by zamboxl; 05-13-2004 at 10:41 AM.

Quick Reply: valve laper