Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Joined the Club

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joined the Club

After messing around with 5.0 and 4.6 Mustangs all this time, I decided to join the dark side...

I always wanted something with a LS. The Camaros and Trans-Am aesthetics left much to be desired, so I was looking around for GTOs and ended up finding this low mileage 06 CTS-V.

It has Pacesetter Long Tubes, Magnaflow Catback. I think it belonged to a board member here too.

I've read alot about V1s on these boards and decided to join.

Upcoming plans for it:
Exhaust Cutouts
Cradle Bushings
Pinion Brace

Old 02-19-2014, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome. If it was owned by a member, check the rear diff bushing. It might be upgraded already. Pretty sure the pinion brace is worthless.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice. Welcome. I'd check for upgrades on spots like bushings and mounts. Motor mounts, diff bushings, etc. I'd also check shifter.

Congrats again. i agree the catfish f bodies leave much to be desired, but I actually like the TA WS6 looks.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

pinion brace is not worth getting and some have even reported ill effects from it (broken diff). I would also think long and hard about which cutouts you get if any as mine always rattled and could never get them replaced under warranty so i removed them (DMH)
Old 02-19-2014, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Welcome. I prefer the chassis of the CTS-V over the GTO bigtime... just in case you get buyer's remorse.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

welcome to the party! nice looking platinum btw... make sure to join the cts-v group in my Sig..
Old 02-20-2014, 07:52 AM
11 Second Club

welcome!!!
Old 02-20-2014, 08:59 AM
TECH Regular

Welcome! And congrats!
Old 02-20-2014, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Let me help a brother out and fix the sentence you accidentally messed up. You said.....
"The Camaros and Trans-Am aesthetics left much to be desired, so I was looking around for GTOs"......
I think what you MEANT to say was "The Camaros are kinda fugly and I'm not cool enough to drive a WS6, so I was looking around for GTOs".....

Simple mistake, glad to help out.

Welcome aboard, your addiction to LS1tech has officially begun whether you realize it or not yet.

Last edited by AnotherWs6; 02-20-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome and congrats on the V
Old 02-20-2014, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Let me help a brother out and fix the sentence you accidentally messed up. You said.....
"The Camaros and Trans-Am aesthetics left much to be desired, so I was looking around for GTOs"......
I think what you MEANT to say was The Camaros are kinda fugly and I'm not cool enough to drive a WS6, so I was looking around for GTOs".....
LOL, maybe his mullet just isn't long enough.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

He may be rethinking being part of the club. Lol
Old 03-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Teching In

A few things I noticed since driving it.

Wiper Motor needs to be replaced. Squirts fluid when I turn it on. I'm just going to be cheap and leave the washer fluid empty. Saves weight too b/c race car.

Small Exhaust Leak on driver's side. Sounds slightly turbo charged.

Haven't checked for any aftermarket stuff on the rear end yet, because was too busy enjoying it. Also because the ground has been wet from rain.

Check Engine Light on from long tubes but I don't mind at all.

I have been enjoying the car alot though. I drove it to Sacramento Raceway to spectate the CMI Races this weekend. I didn't run it though, but I saw another V1 Red / Burgundy there. Didn't see it run though.

Great car though. Definitely enjoying it. Get compliments for it as well.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by egress
Small Exhaust Leak on driver's side. Sounds slightly turbo charged.
If there's an aftermarket intake with an open element filter it makes a whistling noise like a turbo might. Exhaust leaks sound more like tapping or ticking.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BudRacing
If there's an aftermarket intake with an open element filter it makes a whistling noise like a turbo might. Exhaust leaks sound more like tapping or ticking.

You're right. I'm such a noob.

Anyways, not much updates.

I test launched the thing at 2k and it didn't wheel hop that bad. I didn't try any higher RPMS.

I also did donuts with it at 3K clutch drop, no hopping, but probably because it was going sideways.

On a 1-2 shift at ~4000, it wheel hopped like crazy and I had to let off, so I assume there is no anti wheel hop stuff on it.

I raced on it highway rolls 40-45, the powerband is not where I'd like it towards up top.

Anyways, I'm prepared to throw a sum of money at it now...

The essentials first of course:

Short Shifter. Stock one is so sloppy and it pisses me off.
Rear Cradle Bushing Kit so I can sort of launch it without destroying anything

What I'm unsure of, is should I buy anti-wheel hop axles in addition. I read that for some, bushings are enough, like rid 80% of it. I don't mind a noiser or bumpier ride, since I'm going to be the one driving it and enjoying it.

I've researched and decided on the Vengeance Racing VXR5 Cam. Big enough for my needs.

I also want heads to go with the cam.

I'm unclear what heads I want. I read L92s are good budget heads, but I don't think the gains are nearly as good as say... Trickflow 225s that I've been looking at.

I'm trying to shoot for 450RWHP and I don't think L92s will cut it.

My LS2 is quite healthy at 82k miles, and want a good 450RWHP set up. Anyone can point me in the right direction? I'll just do more research in the meantime.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd say go rectangular port heads immediately. They flow better than cathedrals no matter what. Check the classifieds on the forums here, Craigslist, eBay, I would just get bare heads and send them to AI or TEA for a work over. Reason why I would go with the gen 4 rectangular heads is also the fact that people make superchargers for them still. There is one Eforce thread on another website otherwise you have Maggie 112 bolt on or a procharger if that's you cup o tea... And I'm not even sure you can get a new Maggie for a first gen v anymore.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:54 PM
Teching In

I'm more in favor of N/A because its more in my budget but I'd definitely go for a Maggie too. Still deciding. LS Power is too addictive.

I'm already selling most of my Mustang stuff to fund this car.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Before you spring for axles, I'd wait to see what 54 has brewing with this subframe connector he has. He seems to be onto something that works much better than all other methods.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by egress
I'm more in favor of N/A because its more in my budget but I'd definitely go for a Maggie too. Still deciding. LS Power is too addictive.

I'm already selling most of my Mustang stuff to fund this car.
Even with NA builds the rectangular ports are better. If they are in your budget if go that route. I did all my extra parts for my last car too. Sad days.

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Before you spring for axles, I'd wait to see what 54 has brewing with this subframe connector he has. He seems to be onto something that works much better than all other methods.
They are not true subframe connectors... A real subframe connector ties the front and rear subframes together, thereby strengthening a unibody. He needs to find another name for them really since they connect the rear subframe to the unibody. It seems like a good idea now but I'm curious to see longevity of those things... They are more like ladder bars or traction bars to prevent axle wrap, or that's what they look like to me.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Even with NA builds the rectangular ports are better. If they are in your budget if go that route. I did all my extra parts for my last car too. Sad days.

They are not true subframe connectors... A real subframe connector ties the front and rear subframes together, thereby strengthening a unibody. He needs to find another name for them really since they connect the rear subframe to the unibody. It seems like a good idea now but I'm curious to see longevity of those things... They are more like ladder bars or traction bars to prevent axle wrap, or that's what they look like to me.

So you recommend the L92 heads with some machine work to my specifications? Would flow better than the TFS 225CCs?

+1 on the "subs"

I've done buncha them on Foxbodies. Wet noodle unibody.
These tie the rear assembly to unibody. They also look to undergo a bunch of stress too, but definitely looks to be a good idea if it holds up. I just want to know how long they'll hold up. But for now, I'm getting the cradle bushings for sure.

Quick Reply: Joined the Club