Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Aluminum line max pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aluminum line max pressure

Is the required fuel pressure and aluminum line compatible?
Old 02-21-2014, 04:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

I guess that would depend what aluminium line you are using. Ask the supplier what it is rated to.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:27 PM
10 Second Club

As a return line it is fine
Old 02-21-2014, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

From what I've come across, Speedway has aluminum hard line rated to 250 psi. Others I've seen are only rated to ~40 psi.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most sellers don't really know who or where the aluminum line they sell is made. All the aluminum line I have ever dealt with is fine for fuel systems and should handle pressure for EFI systems with no problem. The weak link would be the adapters taking it to the fuel pails or regulators. If they are not properly installed they might leak. Its not rocket science but you need to take care to do it right.

I my opinion the are several weak links with aluminum is it can crack. You need to use a short piece of flexible hose between the aluminum and the engine so vibrations can fatigue the aluminum and cause a crack. Also aluminum can be dented by debris hitting it while driving. The last is if you are working on the car aluminum can be easily kinked if you try to move it out of the way.

I have never seen aluminum line rated as low as 40 psi but I guess its possible, it would have to be real thin walled or cheaply made.

Hope this helps

Good luck.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another note if you're planning on using the aluminum AN to compression fittings. I called Summit and asked about the rating on these fittings, and it's only 50 PSI...
Old 02-23-2014, 05:52 AM
9 Second Club

I would never use compression fittings on a fuel line. Over time the pipe weakens and they can leak

Always flare the end for proper fittings. Or bead the end and clamp rubber hose with proper clamps
Old 02-23-2014, 08:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I would never use compression fittings on a fuel line. Over time the pipe weakens and they can leak

Always flare the end for proper fittings. Or bead the end and clamp rubber hose with proper clamps
I wouldn't hesitate to use the correct compression fitting, we used SS Parker-Hannifin fittings at work (oil industry), rated to 10000 PSI...
Old 02-23-2014, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ss performance
Most sellers don't really know who or where the aluminum line they sell is made. All the aluminum line I have ever dealt with is fine for fuel systems and should handle pressure for EFI systems with no problem. The weak link would be the adapters taking it to the fuel pails or regulators. If they are not properly installed they might leak. Its not rocket science but you need to take care to do it right.

I my opinion the are several weak links with aluminum is it can crack. You need to use a short piece of flexible hose between the aluminum and the engine so vibrations can fatigue the aluminum and cause a crack. Also aluminum can be dented by debris hitting it while driving. The last is if you are working on the car aluminum can be easily kinked if you try to move it out of the way.

I have never seen aluminum line rated as low as 40 psi but I guess its possible, it would have to be real thin walled or cheaply made.

Hope this helps

Good luck.
Good post.
Aluminum line scares the **** out of me. I won't use it for fuel line anymore except internally in a fuel cell. I mainly use it for vacuum or wire guides because it polishes nice.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:08 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by S10xGN
I wouldn't hesitate to use the correct compression fitting, we used SS Parker-Hannifin fittings at work (oil industry), rated to 10000 PSI...

There is no correct, and aluminium will never support that with any compression fitting

The point is, the base pipe is soft metal. This will also compress as well as the olive. Over time the pipe weakens and can often need re-tightening. Which again compresses the pipe more...same process.
Add to that the vibration of the car etc, it all gets worse. The pipe can eventually fatigue once compressed too far and lead to fractures.

Now if you're using steel or stainless hardline a compression fitting will be fine an secure for a very long time.

but not a soft metal.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

I appreciate the advice. This would be for a short section under hood for looks mainly. Definitely will do flared ends and proper fittings. I'll have to check some sources to get some ratings. I know there is some thin stuff out there. Don't want to burn what junk I have to the ground.

Quick Reply: Aluminum line max pressure