Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fresh off engine rebuild, oil pressure issue?

Old 02-20-2014, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fresh off engine rebuild, oil pressure issue?

So I recently had a engine rebuild (prob @ 2500 miles on the build now), complete with new cam, LS6 oil pump and all that. Since getting the car back, oil pressure was consistently in the 60-80 psi range, on occasion after warming up it would stay in the 50-60 range. Recently over the past day or two I've noticed the car running at a lower psi. 40 ish psi (which I know is fine), but today it dropped down low enough to set the check gauges light on. Since the rebuild, I've had everything checked by the shop that did the build, everything was good, oil changed etc. Car still has plenty of oil, no issues there, so any ideas of what may be going on? Spent decent coin on the rebuild and this is making me a tad nervous esp since the car has been doing fine since I got it back. Any feedback is appreciated!!
Old 02-21-2014, 03:32 AM
Teching In

Default o-ring

Possibly the o-ring on the pickup tube/or mounting bolt loose, but the dropping oil pressure over days is not a good sign. Is the gauge working normally or possibly the sensor is going bad.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Poppa G
Possibly the o-ring on the pickup tube/or mounting bolt loose, but the dropping oil pressure over days is not a good sign. Is the gauge working normally or possibly the sensor is going bad.
Gauge seems to be working normally. We the car is cold and started up, the pressure is right up where is should be 60-70ish. Needle stays right there. As the car warms up, pressure starts to drop as normal. Recently at hot idle, the needle seems do dance around abit. As RPMs increase, so does the pressure/needle. Drove it to and from work yesterday and it pressure was consistently around 40 psi. No ticks or knocks coming from the motor and the car seems to run ok. Could this be more of a bad sensor issue? Forgive my ignorance, but the pickup tube/o ring are on the back side if block/intake correct?

Thanks for the response!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fresh off engine rebuild, oil pressure issue?