LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Can faulty coolant temp cause my engine to die?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can faulty coolant temp cause my engine to die?

I've been getting a problem with my car dying after several minutes of running. Check the video here:
If you listen at about 2:02 you hear the idle pick up quite a bit. Still has fuel press., spark, but won't restart right away.

Today I started it, and I noticed a few different things, one my coolant temp was about 170 before it died without the fans on, after it died the gauge wouldn't even change. Second it started to run real rich when the idle picked up I could smell it (and taste it) in the exhaust fumes and could see denser smoke.

Could the coolant temp be causing it to run rich and flood? I'm thinking that's a big possibility at this point. Anyone else think this too?
Old 02-21-2014, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The dash gauge is reading the sender in the head, the pcm uses the sender in the waterpump.

Yes a faulty temp sender can cause rich running and hard starting etc. but the cold reading in combination would to me more suggest and electrical issue since as I detailed they are different senders, that or you just misinterpreted things
Old 02-22-2014, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it runs very rich, you need a good scanner (and someone who knows how to read it lol) to tell what the sensor on the waterpump is reading, when mine when bad, it was telling the PCM it was -40 degrees all the time....regardless of what the gauge says.

Nice color BTW!
Old 04-18-2014, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I did get it scanned, had to wait awhile for things to thaw out and get my car to a shop. I just picked it up yesterday. Turns out it was exactly the coolant temp sensor, the one in the water pump. The shop wanted $485 dollars to replace the sensor and the pigtail. I already had the sensor due to advance selling me the wrong one, literally took me 15 minutes total, including getting the tools out and putting them away. Maybe I should open a shop... Anyway, the thing cranked up right away, and didn't miss a beat at the hit of the throttle. Took a risk and made a drive, the bitch is back and she's pissed!

Quick Reply: Can faulty coolant temp cause my engine to die?