Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Is a turndown absolutely necessary for a cutout?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a turndown absolutely necessary for a cutout?

I just got a manual cutout that is open 100% of the time on my I pipe, under the rear passenger seat. My dad thinks i need a turndown because the exhaust gases and whatever else comes out are harmful to the underside of the car/wheel/whatever they hit and the heat with damage whatever it hits as well. My question is, is he just paranoid, or do i really need a turndown if my cutout is open 100% if the time?
Old 02-23-2014, 01:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran a cutout underneath the rear seats on my 91 camaro. With the cutout open the air/gasses would directly hit the underbody of the car. I ran it that way for a while. I had no problems, only negative was that the area where the cutout exhaust contacted the car is now black.

I read where people were worried about their carpet getting hot, and possibly catching fire. I think that is a valid concern if your cutout is close enough to the under body of the car. You should be able to judge that your self.

I would run a Turn down. It sounds ALOT better, and keeps underneath your car clean.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've ran a manual cutout for over around 2 years(same location as yours) and haven't had any problems but i can tell you i'm pissed at myself for not putting a turndown on it bc like what has been said it has made my clean underbody dirty as ****, just black everywhere. Do yourself a favor and put a turndown on it.

Now someone plz tell me the best place to get a cheap 3" flanged turndown??? I tried QTP's(they have a nice 360* SS one) website and they list one but you cant order it.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

^spot on advice from these two
Old 02-23-2014, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Try badlandzhpe.com. They have painted black and stainless in whatever size you could need.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

It's cheap. Run turndowns. No question. You could run w/o seat belts for years too w no problems. It's a matter of safety...

Quick Reply: Is a turndown absolutely necessary for a cutout?