General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car squeaks when I try to WOT and one other problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car squeaks when I try to WOT and one other problem.

Problem #1: Engine related
My car squeaks when I try to step on it, stays at about 2RPM for maybe 2 seconds and then it accelerates like normal. It's an LT1 car, 1993 so scanning it at the moment is out of the question but if you know how I can scan it for less than 60 bucks by myself, that would be great. Anyway, what do you guys think it could be?

My car is an 4 speed auto.

EDIT: I have not scanned it because it is not OBD-II (not many places here have OBD1 scanners).

Problem #2 : Suspension related
I'm not going to lie, this car has been lowered a bit and I think it's becoming a problem. Whenever I go over uneven roads, I can hear - maybe the tires - make contact with the car. Sometimes my passengers in the back can feel a hard knock from when the tires do this..

The front wheels make a squeak noise (unrelated to the engine problem) whenever my car goes up and down

Well that's about it. If you need more information, please let me know.

Last edited by ShovelMan; 02-23-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

Not sure on the engine problem, is it an auto? Throwing codes?

As far as your suspension, check your bump stops for one and if you have some miles on your shocks that may be to culprit. My bump stops were torn to shreds and basically non existent. Combined with the old OEM Decarbon shocks, my car would bottom out all the time. So much so, that I put a dent my new Magnaflow exhaust pipe not long after installation. Chances are, with you car being lowed, if your on stock shocks, those are toast.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SnakeEaterSS
Not sure on the engine problem, is it an auto? Throwing codes?

As far as your suspension, check your bump stops for one and if you have some miles on your shocks that may be to culprit. My bump stops were torn to shreds and basically non existent. Combined with the old OEM Decarbon shocks, my car would bottom out all the time. So much so, that I put a dent my new Magnaflow exhaust pipe not long after installation. Chances are, with you car being lowed, if your on stock shocks, those are toast.
4 speed auto. SES light is on, but i don't have a scanner at the moment.

I might as well buy my the shocks/struts along with coil springs. What do you recommend? Are struts in the front, shocks in the back?

Last edited by ShovelMan; 02-23-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:24 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You should be able to get your codes without a scanner. I haven't worked on an old LT car, but I'd expect there should be a proceedure like this to get the OBD1 codes. (This is how I used to get them off a '90 Pontiac Sunbird.)
http://www.obd-codes.com/faq/read-gm...codes-free.php
Old 02-24-2014, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
You should be able to get your codes without a scanner. I haven't worked on an old LT car, but I'd expect there should be a proceedure like this to get the OBD1 codes. (This is how I used to get them off a '90 Pontiac Sunbird.)
What does a code 13 look like? One flash followed by 3 flashes?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:08 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Yes.

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...igit-codes.php

On my old Pontiac, I recall that the system may have flashed three times (as a starting sequence) before going in to the code, but there was a noticeable pause between each number flash.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you very much. I will do some scanning today

Quick Reply: Car squeaks when I try to WOT and one other problem.