Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Electronics question about LEDs and diodes

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronics question about LEDs and diodes

So, I have a dune buggy, and am attempting to switch to led headlights. The problem I'm having is that these bulbs are apparently letting a small amount of voltage feed back into the ground circuit. These are 2 terminal bulbs, and the ground/power change from one terminal to the other to go from low to high. They don't work at all unless you run a seperate ground to them. If you do that, then when you switch from low to high, or vice versa, you're directly grounding the power circuit and blowing the fuse. My question is: how do I fix it? I'm not an electronics guy. Diodes would seem to be the ticket, as they stop the current flow, but will they allow the ground to pass? Thanks for any help guys.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

do you have the instructions or a diagram for them?
Old 02-23-2014, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Nope, and haven't been able to find a diagram anywhere. Theres a 3 position toggle switch. There's 6 terminals on the switch. Two are full time power(the two middle terminals), up puts the top 2 terminals as 1 ground, 1 power, and down puts the lower 2 terminals as 1 ground, 1 power. The middle position is off, up is high beam, and down is low beams. As far as the bulb, I have no idea. When either of the ground wires should be a ground, it still lights the test light (I have no multimeter) very dimly and the lights don't work. If I jump a ground to it, the lights come on. I just need to figure out how to kill the voltage that is somehow feeding through the bulb and into the ground circuit while keeping a ground for the bulbs to operate.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:38 AM
Teching In

I'd recommend using relays. 5 pin relays would work best for your situation. There's plenty of write ups on the internet if you google or search " wiring headlight relays". You can go on image search and find diagrams. I can explain how to do it but, it's easier when you have a pic. Hope you find what you need.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:25 AM
TECH Addict

I'll second relays.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

x3 on relays. no way to feed back through an open circuit

Quick Reply: Electronics question about LEDs and diodes