Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

02 Camaro z28 won't start or even try to crank over

Old 02-26-2014, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Camaro z28 won't start or even try to crank over

I have a 02 z28, just did a bunch of suspension work as it was in an accident. Fixed it, drove it around for a hour or two brought it home, wouldn't start this morning. Turn key and it doesn't even try to crank. When the key is in the on position only lights are the service engine soon and check gauges. Neither were on yesterday. Any ideas where to start? Already tried the started relay.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the security light doing ??..
Old 02-26-2014, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by im-not-guilty
What's the security light doing ??..
Goes on when all the lights go on but then right off.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

I don't know for sure if it applies to camaro but a lot of gm cars in that era have a key relearning sequence. I wish I remembered how it went exactly but you could look it up. Try turning the key on and let the security light come on and go off. Keep the key turned on and the security light should start flashing. Turn key off and Cycle the key about 5 times then try to start. If that doesn't work look it up
Old 02-27-2014, 06:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fordkilla2000
I don't know for sure if it applies to camaro but a lot of gm cars in that era have a key relearning sequence. I wish I remembered how it went exactly but you could look it up. Try turning the key on and let the security light come on and go off. Keep the key turned on and the security light should start flashing. Turn key off and Cycle the key about 5 times then try to start. If that doesn't work look it up
Key relearning sequence does not apply to these cars. .....
F-bodies use the vats system
Old 02-27-2014, 07:57 AM
Staging Lane

There you go I stand corrected. I didn't know if it applied
Old 02-27-2014, 11:00 AM
Teching In

FIRST AND FOREMOST: Does this vehicle have an aftermarket alarm system and/or interlock or non-OE anti-theft device?

If the security light comes on and goes off without any flashing when attempting to crank the vehicle it is more than likely not related to a VATs failure. I like that you started with the relay, now its time for one of two things, either A. Use a Volt meter/light and see if the starter is getting voltage applied to the solenoid while another person holds the key in the "crank position" or B. if you do not have the tools/man-power needed to perform that test jack the car up, remove the starter motor and have it tested.

If the starter tests good I would begin looking for a break in the harness to the starter (Perhaps damaged in the collision?) or possibly a broken key cylinder/electrical portion of ignition switch.

Hope this helps! I'll be looking for your response and progress on the situation.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by 1BurnedZ28
FIRST AND FOREMOST: Does this vehicle have an aftermarket alarm system and/or interlock or non-OE anti-theft device?

If the security light comes on and goes off without any flashing when attempting to crank the vehicle it is more than likely not related to a VATs failure. I like that you started with the relay, now its time for one of two things, either A. Use a Volt meter/light and see if the starter is getting voltage applied to the solenoid while another person holds the key in the "crank position" or B. if you do not have the tools/man-power needed to perform that test jack the car up, remove the starter motor and have it tested.

If the starter tests good I would begin looking for a break in the harness to the starter (Perhaps damaged in the collision?) or possibly a broken key cylinder/electrical portion of ignition switch.

Hope this helps! I'll be looking for your response and progress on the situation.

No aftermarket anything all stock down to the rims. I will be testing the starter today or tomorrow. So damn cold here in IL, will let you know my progress once that is taken care of.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:38 PM

So I went out and started just checking connections and grounds. Went to tighten one and the bolt broke. Attached it to a different ground got in turned the key back and forth a bunch of times (I have no idea what made me do that) and tried and bam she's going..... You guys think it was that simple ground? I will try again later see if she starts up again and let you guys know.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:55 PM

Went to start her she tried to crank and it stopped. Just starting doing the one click when I attempted to turn it on. Will start checking grouds and connections tomorrow and see how it goes
Old 03-01-2014, 11:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kadlec89
So I went out and started just checking connections and grounds. Went to tighten one and the bolt broke. Attached it to a different ground got in turned the key back and forth a bunch of times (I have no idea what made me do that) and tried and bam she's going..... You guys think it was that simple ground? I will try again later see if she starts up again and let you guys know.
What bolt broke? Can you take pics of what you're grounding?
Old 03-15-2014, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1BurnedZ28

You seem to know about the vats I switched my ic and all Guage lights are on which is normal when swapping. Do you know how to program the cluster to the computer?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 02 Camaro z28 won't start or even try to crank over