Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header install question

Old 03-01-2014, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header install question

Poly mounts are be putting in by a shop, I'll be installing tsp headers and ory the following week.

I've read through a bunch of write ups including the stickies, I still have a couple of questions.

What size are the headers bolts? I looked at mine and they look fairly rusted (I'm going to hit them with Pb blaster a few times before I try to get them out) I would like to put new ones in. Should I just go with OEM?

When I install the headers with no emissions, do I need to remove the AIR? I know the egr has to go. Also is there a good writeup on removing them? I have a 2000 TA completely stock, I wouldn't mind keeping the AIR if it's possible. I haven't worked on my car before so I'm not too familiar with everything.

Last, I'm doing this on a lift, will I need to remove anything in order to install the headers, I know every install is different but it seems more issues come due to the car not being high enough.

Thanks in advance from the new guy.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1)Bolts are 8mmx1.25-30mm long. 2) I have used OEM on all 4 of my header installs on f bodys with no problems. 3) I would remove the air and egr crap totally when headers go in. BTW, I noticed you said poly mounts are going in by a shop. To my knowledge you have to remove exhaust mani's and ypipe to do this. Why not just let the shop install the headers instead of paying them to reinstall the exhaust manis and ypipe after the poly mm's are installed? I would think it should take about the same ammount of time and cost.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
1)Bolts are 8mmx1.25-30mm long. 2) I have used OEM on all 4 of my header installs on f bodys with no problems. 3) I would remove the air and egr crap totally when headers go in. BTW, I noticed you said poly mounts are going in by a shop. To my knowledge you have to remove exhaust mani's and ypipe to do this. Why not just let the shop install the headers instead of paying them to reinstall the exhaust manis and ypipe after the poly mm's are installed? I would think it should take about the same ammount of time and cost.
Good question about the mms, I called and asked them this, twice.... He said witth the stock manis they can do it no problem. They're charging 200 for mounts, 700 for headers.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I use stage 8 headers bolts with locks, never have to worry about header bolts coming loose!
Old 03-01-2014, 12:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrBlockHed
Good question about the mms, I called and asked them this, twice.... He said witth the stock manis they can do it no problem. They're charging 200 for mounts, 700 for headers.
Not doubting them, but Id love to see how. I do, however, remove the entire sedestal and mount in one piece so I dont have to drop the alt or a/c compressor. That may be why I cant see it happening with factory mani's in there.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JOHNNY59
I use stage 8 headers bolts with locks, never have to worry about header bolts coming loose!
Not a bad idea at all and piece of mind goes a long way. I have owned 4 fbodys all with different style headers that I installed and used factory bolts. I used silver antisieze and never had a bolt come loose or a factory style exhaust gasket blow. Some of them were driven over 100,000 miles after the install also. My last one had 230,000 on the factory gaskets and bolts. , No really.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Not doubting them, but Id love to see how. I do, however, remove the entire sedestal and mount in one piece so I dont have to drop the alt or a/c compressor. That may be why I cant see it happening with factory mani's in there.
I'm going to bring my headers just in case..... If they are going to remove them, might as well put the new ones in, I don't want to be on the hook for extra labor with stock manis back in.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of people have to move the steering column to get proper clearance, a lot regular exhaust shops don't know how to do this or to do this
Old 03-01-2014, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
A lot of people have to move the steering column to get proper clearance, a lot regular exhaust shops don't know how to do this or to do this
There heavy into ls engines, but mainly vettes. They have experience with f bodies but it seems a little limited.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Well look I to how to adjust the steering column just in case and you can either tell them or do it yourself
Old 03-03-2014, 12:16 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can install headers yourself, then I'm confident you could also do your motor mounts. It just seems like a waste of money to pay someone if you're doing some work yourself. It's literally just 18 more bolts to remove (6 for the A/C; 3 for alternator; 1 each mount to pedestal; 4 each mount to block). Drill the rivets out of mount clamshells, put new mounts in, bolt together with the new bolts that come with the mounts, and then you simply reverse the install steps. The only thing you'll do extra is get your factory jack to help align the passenger side mount bolt.

As for the header bolts, you can make life a lot easier (and quicker) with header studs. Just check out eBay for stainless header studs (they're like $30) unless you want to spend $100 for ARP. You put the studs in the heads, hang the gasket, slide the header on the studs, then install the nuts. No fighting to thread bolts into the header flange while holding it up there (this is especially helpful for those rear bolts!) -- it just goes right on and you can quickly move on to finish the job.

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
One can simply just remove the steering shaft. It's just two bolts. Nothing else is necessary.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by demonspeed
If you can install headers yourself, then I'm confident you could also do your motor mounts. It just seems like a waste of money to pay someone if you're doing some work yourself. It's literally just 18 more bolts to remove (6 for the A/C; 3 for alternator; 1 each mount to pedestal; 4 each mount to block). Drill the rivets out of mount clamshells, put new mounts in, bolt together with the new bolts that come with the mounts, and then you simply reverse the install steps. The only thing you'll do extra is get your factory jack to help align the passenger side mount bolt.

As for the header bolts, you can make life a lot easier (and quicker) with header studs. Just check out eBay for stainless header studs (they're like $30) unless you want to spend $100 for ARP. You put the studs in the heads, hang the gasket, slide the header on the studs, then install the nuts. No fighting to thread bolts into the header flange while holding it up there (this is especially helpful for those rear bolts!) -- it just goes right on and you can quickly move on to finish the job.

One can simply just remove the steering shaft. It's just two bolts. Nothing else is necessary.

Will these suffice for the header studs?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-Header-Stud-Kit-Stainless-Steel-Set-Small-Block-Chevy-V8-283-327-350-400-GM-/281229958630?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item417a9c9de6&vxp=mtr
The reason I'm having a shop do it is two fold, my friend with a lift is hard to get to commit to a day, so if I have to do both I fear my car may get stuck there.

Second, I'm not enamored with the idea of having my engine unbolted from the car. I feel something can go really wrong.

What's a realistic time frame to complete both in a given day?

Thanks
Old 03-03-2014, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

I meant adjusting the shaft to go around the headers and provide proper clearance. I adjusted with the 2 bolts and wasn't able to be enough room so you have to go inside the car and use the 3 bolts that attach the steering column to the firewall
Old 03-03-2014, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ordered new header bolts from GM dealership. They were only like $5 for all of them. I have had no problems with them backing out. I used my original gaskets and no problems there either. I removed both EGR and AIR. Not sure why you would want to keep your AIR. Are you not going with a catless Y-pipe?
Old 03-03-2014, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1WS6dreamer
I ordered new header bolts from GM dealership. They were only like $5 for all of them. I have had no problems with them backing out. I used my original gaskets and no problems there either. I removed both EGR and AIR. Not sure why you would want to keep your AIR. Are you not going with a catless Y-pipe?
Doesn't it help get the car to temp faster? I'm not totally adverse to removing them both, just thought the air was useful.

I also am having trouble finding a good writeup, what do I need? Just a plug for the lid? I'm going ory.

Btw, u have a part number? I have 11518860

Thanks

Last edited by DrBlockHed; 03-03-2014 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Part #?
Old 03-03-2014, 10:18 PM
10 Second Club

Air injection is for emissions purposes to help get the cats to light off quicker. Does not do anything for engine warm up times. You can do both mounts and headers in a day but you will have to not run into many problems and it is a job. Having someone to help will cut down on install time. I always end up doing the job by myself due to work schedules or something like that.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:21 PM
10 Second Club

That's a good part #, its what I just used on my install.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:42 AM
On The Tree

Air injection is for emissions purposes to help get the cats to light off quicker. Does not do anything for engine warm up times. You can do both mounts and headers in a day but you will have to not run into many problems and it is a job. Having someone to help will cut down on install time. I always end up doing the job by myself due to work schedules or something like that.
Right now I have 3 guys including myself that will be there, so I'm hoping it won't be a nightmare. I'm going to Pb blaster everything like a week I. Advance 2-3 times to help break everything free. But as I've been told many times always expect something to go wrong.

With no emissions on my headers and ory, I won't require any block off plates, is that right? All I need is a 1 3/8 freezer plug for the lid to plug the hole for the AIR?

Also, removing AIR/EGR, is it fairly easy?
Old 03-04-2014, 09:13 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take a look at my build thread. I break down my install a bit along with links to the threads that helped me.

I did mine on jack stands (even the motor mounts). Really, the engine won't go anywhere I just helped a friend do the same on his car last weekend. It took 8 hours using a lift.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

So I brought my car to a shop to have the mounts done, knowing it would take a lot longer than the 2 hours they quoted me. I also brought my lts and ory in case they had to remove the exhaust manifold to get to the mounts, which was the case.

I wound up just having them do the entire install, yeah it cost me a few bucks, but it's all done, looks great, runs strong and sounds sick.

I only wish I did this 7 years ago when I bought the car...

So in the end it has tsp lts, ory, poly mounts, 160 t stat and air/egr delete with a mail order tune.

Next up... Sways, konis and stranos

Thanks for everyone's input

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Header install question