Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

pros and cons of twin clutches

Old 03-01-2014, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question pros and cons of twin clutches

Looking for the pros and cons of the top twin clutches...

Monster twin

Monster lt1s, lt1-sc, lt1-r

McLeod rxt

Spec twin

And any additional clutches I haven't named..looking for the pros and cons of each.. weight, strength, durability, heat reduction, shutter, don't want a blown engine.

I know there's good and bad of each.. just trying choose which is more important to me so I can decide which clutch is best

On another note iv used a month stereo lvl 6 clutch.. and talked to Steve bout there lt1-sc for my power level.. just wanna do more research and talk to people that's used them.before pulling the trigger on one. I'm also want to know what's more pain in the *** to use.. as in shimming.. adjustable slaves.. what's easiest.. somthing that I'm not going have to pull trans to adjust the clutch or shim every so often.. trying think of all the key topics. Car is full weight ws6 using spray.. street driven.. 4-6000 rpm clutch dumps.. still yet enjoyable on the street
Old 03-02-2014, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a McCleod RXT that works well. It seems to be a popular clutch for anyone running a power adder.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The McLeod uses a factory PP from a Honda I think and they add their own floater setup that bolts between the PP and FW. That's why they have such soft pedals but they have held a TON of power. The RXT is quite common and locks of folks love them

Personally I have had the Monster lvl 1 twin in my car and liked it very much. Pedal was a little stiffer than stock and the pedal movement had no hump to get over. Very even pressure required all the way to the floor.

I now have a Monster LT1s waiting to go back in. Luk did am amazing job with the PP. I haven't driven it yet but it is suppose to have a pedal just like a C7 and the thick PP and floater make for a lot of heat capacity. I got the organic disks because I am not over 700whp but if I ever do I will just swap out the disks. If you go this route get the ligher flywheel. It's a HEAVY PP. But the lighter FW helps a lot.

I just liked the idea of a newest tech GM PP in my LS1/T-56. The Monster FW got me there.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:07 PM
TECH Regular

Yea iv heard mcleod uses a v6 pp.. and heard good stuff about them.. and the monster clutches.didn't know the lt1 series were HEAVY.. I also going be street driving the car.. and drag racing.. so idk which fly to get really
. I heard 28 would help with track and street driving..
Old 03-03-2014, 12:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

For LT1, I really like my McLeod Street twin. It has the organic discs and engagement is very smooth. It came with a billet FW and larger 13/16 MC (Wilwood)

you can get it with ceramic puc type discs if you intend to do alot of drag racing with it. I take my car to the track just a few times a year, no problems and the twin really holds vs a single disc clutch
Old 03-03-2014, 12:46 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ******
For LT1, I really like my McLeod Street twin. It has the organic discs and engagement is very smooth. It came with a billet FW and larger 13/16 MC (Wilwood)

you can get it with ceramic puc type discs if you intend to do alot of drag racing with it. I take my car to the track just a few times a year, no problems and the twin really holds vs a single disc clutch

I'm not using lt1 engine.. using ls... just the lt1-sc ect series clutches are the new twins from monster clutch
Old 03-03-2014, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

The C7 clutch inc dual mass flywheel is REALLY heavy. More so than the LS7. The lighter flywheel will bring the PP inline with a normal LS1 clutch. Since you are street strip LT1SC all the way.

With the light weight FW the LT1S clutch is 50lb on the dot. I see that extra metal the same way I see a brake disk. More material, more heat capacity and dissipation.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:30 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah I heard the lt1-sc was a badass clutch just heavy:/
Old 03-03-2014, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's stock weight which is fine for the street and strip.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:09 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ws6guy27
Yeah I heard the lt1-sc was a badass clutch just heavy:/
Not sure your definition of heavy, but the standard weight LT1-SC which uses a 24lb flywheel weighs in at 55lbs total...two pounds lighter than an LS7 clutch, but with a smaller pressure plate and discs the MOI is even lower putting it on par with a LS1/6 clutch. When you opt for the light weight flywheel with our LT1 series clutches it drops 4lbs making the flywheel weigh 20lbs, but all of that weight is removed from the out edge making the MOI difference comparable to the difference between the 10lb drop from our 28lb and 18lb single disc flywheels. So total weight is 51lbs for a lightweight version of the LT1SC, but where that weight is located in relation to the center of rotation is just as important as total weight...hope that helps, don't hesitate with any questions. Chris, 817-750-2000
Old 03-03-2014, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Not sure your definition of heavy, but the standard weight LT1-SC which uses a 24lb flywheel weighs in at 55lbs total...two pounds lighter than an LS7 clutch, but with a smaller pressure plate and discs the MOI is even lower putting it on par with a LS1/6 clutch. When you opt for the light weight flywheel with our LT1 series clutches it drops 4lbs making the flywheel weigh 20lbs, but all of that weight is removed from the out edge making the MOI difference comparable to the difference between the 10lb drop from our 28lb and 18lb single disc flywheels. So total weight is 51lbs for a lightweight version of the LT1SC, but where that weight is located in relation to the center of rotation is just as important as total weight...hope that helps, don't hesitate with any questions. Chris, 817-750-2000

IL be getting the 28 lb fly for better for track and street. Easier on clutch from a stop.. and track it wont bog as much compared to the 20 lb right? Or would it be better to get the lighter set since it's heavier than the single disc clutches
Old 03-04-2014, 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I run the McLeod rxt.
Pros: light pedal. Holds a ton of power. Rebuildable
Cons: price but not if u add up all the money spent on cheaper clutches.
It will find weaker parts in the drive train faster. Takes a few times to learn how to pull out without looking like a newb behind a m6

Overall I love it. I'd buy one again without a second thought. Just be realistic with what your future plans are and what you intend to use it for would be my advice.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:11 AM
On The Tree

I Just installed monsters new Lt1 twin disc in my boosted 406 setup. I havent got many miles on it yet but feels good and smooth. I've have used monster over the years and have to say that Chris over there is a good guy. I always enjoy doing business with them and everything is always as they say. Keep up the good work and cant wait to see how this new clutch holds with the new setup.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GiggleJuiced_SS
I run the McLeod rxt.
Pros: light pedal. Holds a ton of power. Rebuildable
Cons: price but not if u add up all the money spent on cheaper clutches.
It will find weaker parts in the drive train faster. Takes a few times to learn how to pull out without looking like a newb behind a m6

Overall I love it. I'd buy one again without a second thought. Just be realistic with what your future plans are and what you intend to use it for would be my advice.

Well going be streetable and track.. hard launches.. at least 4500-5000 rpm launches..but still want road race with no problems.. I hear the rxt will be hard on ur tranny unlike other clutches that slip for fraction of a second before engagement like for on the track...

And I've thot about the lt1-sc but I wanna do more homework on what's best for me
Old 03-04-2014, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

The minor slipping is based on the coeff of friction of the material and the clamp load. The RXT is not organic. Ceramic I think and will always have more grab than an organic disk. It can however handle a lot more heat before the coeff of friction goes out the door.

If you are after a slipper clutch I think the soft loc's are the way to go but those are for drag and cost $$$.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

i ran one of monsters original twins last year and that thing was a badass all around clutch. will be using a lt1r this year and im sure i will just as happy with it. monsters customer service is second to none
Old 03-04-2014, 11:44 AM
FormerVendor

IL be getting the 28 lb fly for better for track and street. Easier on clutch from a stop.. and track it wont bog as much compared to the 20 lb right? Or would it be better to get the lighter set since it's heavier than the single disc clutches
Correct, 24lb is the heavier of the two LT1 flywheels...yet still lighter than the 28lb singles, I think you're confused that the factory LT1 clutch with it's dual mass flywheel is the heavy beast as Exidous was mentioning above
Originally Posted by Jwilliams04
I Just installed monsters new Lt1 twin disc in my boosted 406 setup. I havent got many miles on it yet but feels good and smooth. I've have used monster over the years and have to say that Chris over there is a good guy. I always enjoy doing business with them and everything is always as they say. Keep up the good work and cant wait to see how this new clutch holds with the new setup.
Thanks for the kind words Looking forward to your new numbers!

Originally Posted by Exidous
The minor slipping is based on the coeff of friction of the material and the clamp load. The RXT is not organic. Ceramic I think and will always have more grab than an organic disk. It can however handle a lot more heat before the coeff of friction goes out the door.

If you are after a slipper clutch I think the soft loc's are the way to go but those are for drag and cost $$$.
Well said

Originally Posted by blue99fbody
i ran one of monsters original twins last year and that thing was a badass all around clutch. will be using a lt1r this year and im sure i will just as happy with it. monsters customer service is second to none
Thanks Ray, looking forward to you besting your current record with it!
Old 03-04-2014, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

I have had a McLeod Street Twin in my car since 2004. There were a lot less reliable choices back in those days. I have never regretted it for a second. Only downside was cost, and the fear that it will shread my 10-bolt at some point.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well going be streetable and track.. hard launches.. at least 4500-5000 rpm launches..but still want road race with no problems.. I hear the rxt will be hard on ur tranny unlike other clutches that slip for fraction of a second before engagement like for on the track...

And I've thot about the lt1-sc but I wanna do more homework on what's best for me
it wont slip like an organic clutch. I got used to it real quick tho. there's always a trade off. I do alot of drag racing. street and track. the rxt was designed more for drag racing so that is the direction I went. I say its streetable and def good enough for the track.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GiggleJuiced_SS
it wont slip like an organic clutch. I got used to it real quick tho. there's always a trade off. I do alot of drag racing. street and track. the rxt was designed more for drag racing so that is the direction I went. I say its streetable and def good enough for the track.

R u using the rxt or the lt1-sc series??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pros and cons of twin clutches