Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

valves hit pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 11:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default valves hit pistons?

I have Diamond forged pistons with valve reliefs in them and when I went to clay the p-to-v clearance, the exhaust valve hit (HIT as in 0 to -0.001 clearance).

It LOOKS like the valve notch is not the same as the angle of the valve because it only hit in the center of the valve while the outer edge has "some" (not more than 0.050") clearance. Has anyone else had this problem (the angle not being right)? I'm going to have them recut at the correct angle + 0.100" on both sides to ensure any "future upgrades" clear.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
I have Diamond forged pistons with valve reliefs in them and when I went to clay the p-to-v clearance, the exhaust valve hit (HIT as in 0 to -0.001 clearance).

It LOOKS like the valve notch is not the same as the angle of the valve because it only hit in the center of the valve while the outer edge has "some" (not more than 0.050") clearance. Has anyone else had this problem (the angle not being right)? I'm going to have them recut at the correct angle + 0.100" on both sides to ensure any "future upgrades" clear.

You typically want .100 Piston to Valve clearance (minimum, some say .080). So, if you are hitting now and cut them +.100, you will probably still have less than the recommended clearance. So any future upgrades will probably need more cutting.

My thoughts.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trackbird
You typically want .100 Piston to Valve clearance (minimum, some say .080). So, if you are hitting now and cut them +.100, you will probably still have less than the recommended clearance. So any future upgrades will probably need more cutting.

My thoughts.
my bad....I ment to say I'm going to add an EXTRA .100" (so cut down .250") for future upgrades.