Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Hard Of An Install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How Hard Of An Install?

I have a guestion I have done most of the stuff I have done to my car like headers and pulley and some of the small stuff (INSTALLING THAT IS) but I woundering how hard is it to do a stall becasue I have a Vig 3200 and the transGo shift kit and I am wanting to do it myself, and I mean I know you guys don't know what I am capable of doing but I am just asking here and seeing how hard it is ? And How long to do it?

Thanks Dan
Old 05-12-2004, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

TC install was supposed to take me and my friend 4 hours. It was done 2 full days later. **** goes wrong and it's a pain in the *** to fix. I would have someone at a tranny shop do the shift kit. They only charge around $100 to do it. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dunno about the shift kit, I've heard to let the pro's handle that. My TC took me and a buddy about 8 hours to do. 2 of those hours were spent trying to break the tranny off of the engine. That SOB was really stuck on there.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you guys using a lift or jackstands/ramps?
Old 05-13-2004, 09:53 AM
TECH Veteran

my huband (and I on some of them) have done 6 converter changes. I believe 2 of them were done on a lift at his work and the others were done on jack stands in our garage. My husband is a mechanic and I'm sure by now he can do a converter install with his eyes closed

But I would do some research. Search this forum for "converter install"
I'm sure possibly installuniversity.com (spelling?) has a write up on it also. Don't forget about a trans cooler too, and i also recommend a trans temp gauge also, to monitor temps.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:01 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

on a difficulty scale @ home on jackstands I'd give it a 9-10...i did my own tci shift kit by myself in around 10hrs while i was doingn a writup on it. FWIW I did my own heads/cam but skipped the TC and just paid the $175 to install it and in the end was happy to do so.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

It would be on a lift with all the tools I would need becasue I work at a Merlins Shop. I am going to read up on it some more and then go from there. Also what do people do wrong where they have to use a shap chisel and a hammer?

Thanks Dan
Old 05-14-2004, 09:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a lift and all the tools to do it its not too bad! I have changed converters on older musclecars quite a few times before, but this was my first 4th gen. f-body. My biggest two problems was getting the tranny to seperate from the block! The alignment dowel-pins were rusted up pretty bad and the one on the passenger side actually pulled out of the block when the tranny finally seperated! I sanded them down with emery cloth and greased them up on the install to make it easier the next time! The other problem was the retaining clips on the cooling lines on the side of the tranny. Had to make a hook tool out of a welding rod to pull the clips out, they must be aligned up correctly when putting them back on! These two problems slowed me down about 3 hours longer than expected! Took me about ten hours, only had help sliding tranny back and someone help restab it on the dowel pins and get a coupleof bolts back in. You will also need about 4 ft of extensions and a u-joint swivel to get to the top bolts on the bellhousing. Good luck Floyd
Old 05-14-2004, 12:25 PM
10 Second Club

I've had the transmission in and out of my car 3 times using jackstands. I never thought it was that hard to do. You get a lot better at it by the 3rd time.