Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF sensor placement

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default MAF sensor placement

Before I go any further I realize you want some straight pipe before the MAF for the best reading. So does anyone have their MAF right in front of the TB right after a 90? I plan on putting a 6"-12" aluminum pipe right in front of the 90 so it could be placed right before the 90 and after the aluminum pipe but that would require lengthening the MAF wires. Where the MAF is in the pics is the only place I can place it without cutting and soldering wires. I am not the best at soldering so I would rather leave it where it is. Any suggestions?

Old 03-03-2014, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I suggest soldering the wires and allowing the MAF to work as it's designed to. It will probably run if it's mounted at the TB, but it will probably be improperly communicating with the computer and sending false data.

Soldering is not hard if you do it correctly. Strip each wire and reveal about 1/2" of bare wire. Twist the bare wire so there are no loose strands. Put a heat shrink sleeve on the wire and push it up the wire far out of the way. Twist the bare wires together snugly.

Now the part that people often do wrong....

Touch the soldering iron to the BOTTOM of the combined wires. Heat the joint for a good 10 or 15 seconds, and then from the TOP, apply the solder (electrical solder, not the plumbing stuff). This will cause the solder to be sucked into the entire twisted section, making a permanent, perfect bond. Slide the heat shrink sleeve down to the joint and apply heat with a heat gun or a lighter.

If the solder flows into the joint on its own, you did it right. If the solder is just sticking to the surface of the wire, you did it wrong. Those wires are pretty thin though, and it should flow into them very easily. You can do it.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the best picture I have of mine. Run it right before the 90. Mine is throttle-body; sleeve; small section of 4" tube; 4" to 3.5" 90; MAF; sleeve; length of 3.5" tube; 45 degree elbow; more tube; filter.

MAF sensor placement-vhversm.jpg
Old 03-03-2014, 06:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

The 5 wire MAFs do not need to be put directly in the fan wash. The air will be hot, and affect the AIT sensor reading.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what I thought you would all say. My experience with soldering usually results in the joining wires being bigger and looking bad. Ill practice first cuz it sounds like this is the best way to go about it. Thanks for the tips SuperDave, I'll keep those in mind.

Geezer, are you saying keep the MAF away from surrounding heat? Or is the turbulance of the fan the issue. The temp sensor is inside the MAF right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using IB AutoGroup

Last edited by kirk69nova; 03-03-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
The 5 wire MAFs do not need to be put directly in the fan wash. The air will be hot, and affect the AIT sensor reading.
It's hard to tell in my photo, but the MAF is actually behind a shrouded area of the fan. I'm not worried about it getting heat soaked.

Quick Reply: MAF sensor placement