Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did I do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Default What did I do?

I have a 2000 b4c with a 346 with 243s milled with a vj, ls6 cam, full exhaust, etc. i got a trans from a vendor here and i wanted sleeper mode, so they spec'd me a 2800 stall they built. it rev'd to the moon to get the car moving, so i decided the converter sucked and had to change.

I went with (brace yourself) an eBay boss hawg 2000 converter and was pleased how stock it rode. Except a violent vibration at 70+mph under cruising load.

I bought a third converter (3200 stall) from another vendor on here , hoping to get rid of the vibration. I dropped the trans to pull the converter and the boss hawg didn't want to come off the input shaft. After pulling it with a pulley puller type method, we discovered good sized pieces of metal on the input shaft.

I have the new converter on the trans. I'm awaiting new arp flexplate bolts because, get this, the vibes apparently were too much for even the arp flexplate bolts that were in it, that were ruined.

my question is this; since I was able to get the new 3200 seated, should I go ahead? Or does the fact that the old converter didn't come off without force enough to warrant a trans inspection?
Old 03-03-2014, 08:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just pull the pan and inspect it there. The harsh vibration may or may not have done damage. I would want to change the fluid and put a new filter while i'm down there anyways.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:00 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

The strong TC vibration might have damaged the front pump bushing in which the input shaft runs.
If convenient, drop the trans and take it to a local trans shop for an inspection of the input shaft and pump.
What Chevyman1968 suggests is to drop and pan and look for metal debris. If there are metal fragments, you may need a rebuild; otherwise the fragments can cut seals and get stuck in the valve body valves, causing all kinds of havoc. If you take it to a shop, they will want to see what was in the pan too.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I appreciate the input. I had to await new flexplate bolts to replace the ruined ones, so I went at it today. Everything was going well until it was time to bolt the converter to the flexplate. There was no gap. In fact, even though my assistant told me the converter was seated, I discovered the pads were 3/4" from the bell housing mounting surface when I pulled the trans back down... Ugh.

worse, the brand spanking new converter is now stuck on the input shaft!!! I'm taking the whole thing down to a local shop tomorrow am... FML. I'll let y'all know what all was destroyed when I'm done getting fisted by the only decent trans shop in town.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fixed, the converter stuck on the input shaft due to the pump stator being affected, likely due to me not spacing the converter properly previously. Lesson learned, no more vibration and the 3200 stall feels a lot better!
Old 03-13-2014, 09:50 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Thank you for giving us the update.

Quick Reply: What did I do?