LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need Valve Cover Options for 92 LT-1

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Valve Cover Options for 92 LT-1

It seems like after-market products for the 92 LT-1 motor are as rare as hens teeth. I've been searching high and low for a nice set of replacement valve covers (preferably polished stainless, but will settle for aluminum), but haven't come up with much. There seem to be two universal problems that I can't seem to avoid ... (1) all of the covers I've inquired about require modification to clear the alternator and (2) internal clearance is also a problem because of the height of the Trick Flow rockers on my motor. Does anyone know of any valve covers I can use without encountering those two problems?
Old 03-03-2014, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheel Stander
It seems like after-market products for the 92 LT-1 motor are as rare as hens teeth. I've been searching high and low for a nice set of replacement valve covers (preferably polished stainless, but will settle for aluminum), but haven't come up with much. There seem to be two universal problems that I can't seem to avoid ... (1) all of the covers I've inquired about require modification to clear the alternator and (2) internal clearance is also a problem because of the height of the Trick Flow rockers on my motor. Does anyone know of any valve covers I can use without encountering those two problems?
I run the Proform 141-131 black, the 141-130 is polished. Minor clearancing of the alt may be required. There are a few posts on this. Leave the baffles out.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're not looking hard enough, Canton makes very nice fabbed valve covers for the Corvette, already notched for the alternator, and plenty of clearance for aftermarket rockers with no modifications whatsoever required:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctr-65-208/overview/
Old 03-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lt1-xjs
I run the Proform 141-131 black, the 141-130 is polished. Minor clearancing of the alt may be required. There are a few posts on this. Leave the baffles out.
How much clearance will be needed and what is the best way to accomplish that?
Old 03-03-2014, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ahritchie
You're not looking hard enough, Canton makes very nice fabbed valve covers for the Corvette, already notched for the alternator, and plenty of clearance for aftermarket rockers with no modifications whatsoever required:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctr-65-208/overview/
I looked at those but don't really care for the unfinished appearance of the weld seams or the satin finish. Hopefully, those aren't my only option.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Teching In

I have a set of polished aluminum ones. Got them from ebay. They aren't to bad looking and I'm not sure how they are going to fit with my rockers yet. Let me see if I can find a link.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:02 PM
Teching In

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271394127556?nav=SEARCH
Old 03-03-2014, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blacktrans97am
They might work on your Pontiac, but perhaps not on a 92 Vette. Let me know if you have any problems clearing your alternator. On my 92, the back of the alternator comes real close to the front-most edge of the valve cover. Also, my Trick Flow rockers are a bit larger than most. Yours might be slightly smaller. In any case, your new covers do look pretty nice. Good Luck!!!
Old 03-03-2014, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Didn't realize you had a vette. These covers, I believe are specific to an fbody, but the have the notch for the alternator. I I have voodoo rockers, not sure how they compare to you, but I imagine I'm going to have to clearance the inside of the cover a bit. Have to wait and see.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blacktrans97am
Didn't realize you had a vette. These covers, I believe are specific to an fbody, but the have the notch for the alternator. I I have voodoo rockers, not sure how they compare to you, but I imagine I'm going to have to clearance the inside of the cover a bit. Have to wait and see.
Let us know how it works out. I did see some other covers on Ebay that (supposedly) are made to clear the alternator on a 92 Vette. I sent the seller an email asking him to refer me to anyone who has used these same covers for my application. Folks on Ebay tend to be difficult when it comes to returning purchases.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Internal bracing can be trimmed to clear wide body rockers,not generally a height issue but width interferes with the through bolt tube bracing.

Far as physical bolting to the engine they are just centerbolt SBC covers so a LOT fits if you are willing to maybe clearance or reclock the rear of the alternator.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:23 PM
Launching!

I think i bought a set of those Proform 141-131 for my 93 vette, and they did not fit.

Will check and see exactly what they were.

UPDATE
Yes they are the Proform 141-131, and they do not fit.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They might work on your Pontiac, but perhaps not on a 92 Vette. Let me know if you have any problems clearing your alternator. On my 92, the back of the alternator comes real close to the front-most edge of the valve cover. Also, my Trick Flow rockers are a bit larger than most. Yours might be slightly smaller. In any case, your new covers do look pretty nice. Good Luck!!!
Fbody's have the same alternator clearance issue as vette's, it's just on the passenger side instead of the driver's side. If you look closely at the picture on the ebay link posted above you will see one of the covers is notched back (the one in the back in the picture on ebay, left hand side). You would simply run that one on your driver side, rather than the passenger side like fbody guys would have to.

The other options would be 93-96 Corvette LT1 valve covers (composite black plastic) but those typically run around $300 with hardware used, and are no longer made new.

Also, there are the carbon fiber ones that look super nice, but cost $500 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber-Small-Block-Cheverolet-Valve-Covers-Center-bolt-style-LT1-/221384278130?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item338b880072&vxp=mtr
Also, are you sure your aftermarket heads don't allow for perimeter bolt valve covers as well? I know some do.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Amazon.com: Small Block Chevrolet Centerbolt Carbon Fiber Valve Covers - LT1: Automotive Amazon.com: Small Block Chevrolet Centerbolt Carbon Fiber Valve Covers - LT1: Automotive

heres 120 off the 500 above. same cover. i think they look amazing. i want a pair myself.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Fbody's have the same alternator clearance issue as vette's, it's just on the passenger side instead of the driver's side. If you look closely at the picture on the ebay link posted above you will see one of the covers is notched back (the one in the back in the picture on ebay, left hand side). You would simply run that one on your driver side, rather than the passenger side like fbody guys would have to.

The other options would be 93-96 Corvette LT1 valve covers (composite black plastic) but those typically run around $300 with hardware used, and are no longer made new.

Also, there are the carbon fiber ones that look super nice, but cost $500 Carbon Fiber Small Block Cheverolet Valve Covers Center Bolt Style LT1 | eBay

Also, are you sure your aftermarket heads don't allow for perimeter bolt valve covers as well? I know some do.
On the Corvette alternator sits farther over the valve cover then it does on the F-body.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i didnt think corvette alts even came in contact with the valve cover? only a bracket that can be removed or something

i cant remember been a few years since ive had mine haha
Old 03-04-2014, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

I ground the back of my Alternator. It took all of 10 min after I planned where to ground. Had to ground down one of the regulator bolts but they are threaded into the case from the inside so the excess is pointless anyway. I run Proforms. You have to buy grommets for the holes and I run a cheap self sealing Mr.gasket oil cap http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-141-130/overview/

Old 03-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Launching!

I've got a set of chrome aluminum proforms for sale. Just need them gone so I'm willing to deal. Pm if you're interested.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Here's mine, they're eBay junk. I added the fill, catch can fitting, and coil mounts. I'm running a low mount alt too but they're sheet metal so it would be easy to just cut a recess in it then take it somewhere and have it welded back up.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jaycenk
I ground the back of my Alternator. It took all of 10 min after I planned where to ground. Had to ground down one of the regulator bolts but they are threaded into the case from the inside so the excess is pointless anyway. I run Proforms. You have to buy grommets for the holes and I run a cheap self sealing Mr.gasket oil cap http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-141-130/overview/

Yes they do fit on a F-body, but not on a Corvette (Y-body).
Let me take some pictures of my valve covers.

I set the cylinder head, accessory bracket, valve cover, and alternator on the engine to take some pictures.

Here they are.

Last edited by ChevyOwner; 03-04-2014 at 11:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Valve Cover Options for 92 LT-1