Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant crossover quick question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant crossover quick question...

Alright guys, I just completed my heads/cam swap, and when lifting my radiator out the small coolant hose that connects to the throttle body on the passenger side got snagged on the A/C line and broke the plastic nipple that the hose connects to on the radiator, right off.
I repaired the radiator tank by plugging that hole and sealing it up good with some high strength quarter panel glue. I know I can just bypass the coolant around the throttle body, but since I blocked this hole off in the radiator, can I just take the T that goes from the driver's side of the TB to the coolant crossover tube and T it into the small coolant line that goes from the overflow tank to the radiator?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by Stomp_It; 03-04-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

a lot of people are tapping a line right into the top of their water pumps and it seems to work just fine from what i have seen
Old 03-04-2014, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Gotcha... So just T-ing into the hose from the overflow should do the same thing, right? May just end up taping into the water pump, where exactly do they usually tap into it?
Old 03-05-2014, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tapping the water pump makes no sense to me. The objective is to vent steam, and steam rises. By redirecting flow downwards, steam will still be trapped at the highest point in the system. A better alternative would be to plumb to a low pressure / low velocity point of the radiator / overflow tank at a place higher in elevation relative to its exit from the block.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taping into the overflow tank line should work.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
Taping into the overflow tank line should work.
Awesome, thanks.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ckpitt55
Tapping the water pump makes no sense to me. The objective is to vent steam, and steam rises. By redirecting flow downwards, steam will still be trapped at the highest point in the system. A better alternative would be to plumb to a low pressure / low velocity point of the radiator / overflow tank at a place higher in elevation relative to its exit from the block.
The crossover tube isn't just a steam vent I don't think.. I think coolant actually flows through it from what I understand.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

That line has a definite coolant flow, you can see it when you're filling the radiator with the engine running (after the thermostat has opened). And don't connect it to the overflow tank line, that's controlled by the valve in the radiator cap.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can't tee it into the overflow tank. You will fill the overflow tank with coolant while draining the block. It has to go back to a pressurized part of the cooling system.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
You can't tee it into the overflow tank. You will fill the overflow tank with coolant while draining the block. It has to go back to a pressurized part of the cooling system.
This. You'll have a geyser after the car starts to get up to operating temperature.

Quick Reply: Coolant crossover quick question...