Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Differences in Slave Cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences in Slave Cylinders

Ok guys, I have been reading about all the clutch/hydraulics information I can and have run across some here saying only use the GM Slave Cylinder. Can someone tell me why?

What are the differences in designs? (OE vs. Aftermarket)

Who has had experience with one or the other, or both.

Thanks all.

Joe
Old 03-05-2014, 06:25 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I am an AC Delco victim here. It was a dud out of the box and leaked. I had to then turn right around and had to pay to have my tranny pulled a second time so I could get a GM in.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GM's just have better tolerances. That's not to say that the design doesn't suck from the very start but theirs are the "most" reliable.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Exidous
The GM's just have better tolerances. That's not to say that the design doesn't suck from the very start but theirs are the "most" reliable.
Thanks for the reply. Is there data to support the better tolerance claims?
Old 03-05-2014, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Seals can dry up sitting around on parts store shelves, I was a victim also. Most factory versions are made in the same place in mexico. I got my last one from Monster clutch, which they buy direct & sell at a decent price, fresher off the assembly line..
Old 03-05-2014, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jlcustomz
Seals can dry up sitting around on parts store shelves, I was a victim also. Most factory versions are made in the same place in mexico. I got my last one from Monster clutch, which they buy direct & sell at a decent price, fresher off the assembly line..
Interesting point, I would think the GM parts would have been sitting on the shelf longer than the aftermarket parts...?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Have you searched? There are lots of threads that talk about this and the differences.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Have you searched? There are lots of threads that talk about this and the differences.
X2. There are plenty of stories on here where people used aftermarket ones and had issues. Advanced Auto has reviews on the aftermarket ones and they are bad.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

I have searched as stated in the OP. I'm looking for a more definitive comparison or side by side if you will to understand why the GM parts are superior if they truly are. If you have some links, please post them.

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they have "AP" cast into the base and are silver then they are the same as what GM uses/sells. The difference is, as someone here has already pointed out, the ones on parts shelves sit for a long time and the seals dry out. We've circumvented this and buy things directly so there is very little "shelf time" on what we sell.

Truth of the matter is, even paying big bucks for a GM cylinder, you still run the risk of the seals being dry.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ponchjoe
I have searched as stated in the OP. I'm looking for a more definitive comparison or side by side if you will to understand why the GM parts are superior if they truly are. If you have some links, please post them.

Thanks.
There's no database, textbook, article, ect. that breaks each part down. The GM ones are "superior" due to multiple positive user experiences.

Quick Reply: Differences in Slave Cylinders