General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil apparently inside flexplate cover, rear main or oil sending?

Old 03-06-2014, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil apparently inside flexplate cover, rear main or oil sending?

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum--I wasn't sure. I've got a '93 Trans Am A4 that decided to die almost two years ago with no warning--I'm suspecting the opti. In the process trying to diagnose the repair the starter when out so I have to replace it. When I pulled it out I noticed it was covered in oil gunk, so I decided to pull the flexplate cover and noticed a not of fluid inside coming from somewhere although the torque converter seems clean other than along the bottom. I'd appreciate it if someone could look at the following pictures and give me some guidance as I've been reading through older threads and would like a 2nd (or 3rd) opinion. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Oil apparently inside flexplate cover, rear main or oil sending?-flexplate1.jpg   Oil apparently inside flexplate cover, rear main or oil sending?-startermount2.jpg   Oil apparently inside flexplate cover, rear main or oil sending?-leakysealflexplate.jpg   Oil apparently inside flexplate cover, rear main or oil sending?-startermount.jpg   Oil apparently inside flexplate cover, rear main or oil sending?-leakytorque3.jpg  

Old 03-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FraggleRock
Forgive me if this is the wrong forum--I wasn't sure. I've got a '93 Trans Am A4 that decided to die almost two years ago with no warning--I'm suspecting the opti. In the process trying to diagnose the repair the starter when out so I have to replace it. When I pulled it out I noticed it was covered in oil gunk, so I decided to pull the flexplate cover and noticed a not of fluid inside coming from somewhere although the torque converter seems clean other than along the bottom. I'd appreciate it if someone could look at the following pictures and give me some guidance as I've been reading through older threads and would like a 2nd (or 3rd) opinion. Thanks!
I'm not familiar with lt
Old 03-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Stupid app
I was gonna say drop the trans to take a better look
Old 03-06-2014, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I kinda have the same issue.

Could be the oil pan gasket and not the rear main seal.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Question

Originally Posted by a.anaya480
Stupid app
I was gonna say drop the trans to take a better look
I've never dropped the Trans before and am not sure whether I want to engage in such an adventure without a lift as it's just me, a pair of rhino ramps, my floor jack, and a couple of jack stands.

Once I get the new opti in (my 3rd) and figure out a way to drain the two year old gas from the tank I'll see how motivated I am. Which would you say is harder--dropping the trans or changing the opti? I would guess the trans... Thanks.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

use a bright light and a flexible mirror and try to trace up how high the oil leak starts on the back of the motor, that would be your best bet. If the car ran, you could run some dye in the oil that you use a blacklight to detect after you run the car for x amount of time.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:12 PM
...with cheese.

Looks like the pan gasket based on the starter picture.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the forth picture would tell me to look higher, back of the valve covers, intake, opsu etc.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FraggleRock

I've never dropped the Trans before and am not sure whether I want to engage in such an adventure without a lift as it's just me, a pair of rhino ramps, my floor jack, and a couple of jack stands.

Once I get the new opti in (my 3rd) and figure out a way to drain the two year old gas from the tank I'll see how motivated I am. Which would you say is harder--dropping the trans or changing the opti? I would guess the trans... Thanks.
Sorry took so long app doesn't notify me... well if you can't view it good via inspection mirror I did my rear main at the same time I rebuilt my trans
Old 03-09-2014, 01:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by a.anaya480

Sorry took so long app doesn't notify me... well if you can't view it good via inspection mirror I did my rear main at the same time I rebuilt my trans
Always happens... anyways looks like you have access to tools and a way to get it up start making calls to those you know that can give you a hand it's not as bad as you think you'd have to remove starter driveshaft and cross member lower the trans start wrenching even if you take your time I think you'll have the sense of accomplishment... my best advise would be a Haynes book YouTube to visualize or research in general

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil apparently inside flexplate cover, rear main or oil sending?