LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Problem after installing new opti

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem after installing new opti

I recently installed a new opti on my 95 camaro I've owned for 2 weeks while doing so I found out I needed a 94 opti not sure whether they did a motor swap or cam swap but anyways now I have a idle jump and jerking in low rpm when I drive it now I'm thinking it's something I did wrong while installing because it didn't do this before. Really need some tips to check out
Old 03-07-2014, 11:37 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Check and recheck to ensure all plug wires are routed properly. Any backfiring?
Old 03-07-2014, 02:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Best thing you can do is buy a cable and some software to data-log the car. If you can see what all the sensors are reading it could point you in the right direction and possibly prevent you from replacing parts for no reason at all.

What were the symptoms you had that made you replaced the opti?

I've had idle surging, bucking, and stalling at low rpm before on my 94. Once it was the temp sensor connector, the other time was the maf connector. The MAF actually caused the pcm to flash the SES at me though and set a code.

You may want to check the simple stuff first, as mentioned, crossed wires. Also you can insert the splined opti shaft in the wrong orientation, are you sure it's on correctly?
Old 03-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fbody_brian
Best thing you can do is buy a cable and some software to data-log the car. If you can see what all the sensors are reading it could point you in the right direction and possibly prevent you from replacing parts for no reason at all.

What were the symptoms you had that made you replaced the opti?

I've had idle surging, bucking, and stalling at low rpm before on my 94. Once it was the temp sensor connector, the other time was the maf connector. The MAF actually caused the pcm to flash the SES at me though and set a code.

You may want to check the simple stuff first, as mentioned, crossed wires. Also you can insert the splined opti shaft in the wrong orientation, are you sure it's on correctly?
Had hard time starting misfired at low rpm really broke up after 4k rpm after opti fires right up and runs good in high rpm but has Misfire and surging at anything under 2000 rpm I went over the wires 3 time for fo and any breaks look for vac leaks
Old 03-07-2014, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like SS RRR said check everything that you've removed during the install. The wires first...you might have them in the wrong spot or not seated correctly. The air intake make sure its tight then and of course double check the opti....If everything checks out you might have a fubar opti.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by riceburnerZ28
Like SS RRR said check everything that you've removed during the install. The wires first...you might have them in the wrong spot or not seated correctly. The air intake make sure its tight then and of course double check the opti....If everything checks out you might have a fubar opti.
I'm thanking I may have the opti a lit off wires are band new and on the right holes no vac leaks what do you guys thank
Old 03-10-2014, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimmysscamaro
I'm thanking I may have the opti a lit off wires are band new and on the right holes no vac leaks what do you guys thank
Not sure who your thanking, but I think you may have gotten a bad opti, or you need to replace the wires and see what difference it makes. What was the symptoms before installing this opti (are you sure it was the opti that was bad and not the MAF or something else?), what sort of opti is it specifically? I too recently had a hell of a time with a cheap autozone opti, first one was a complete dud, second one my friend crossed up the wires wrong on passenger side and it ran like garbage until I traced the wires....no issues to report so far (knock on wood) with opti #2. The "quality" of cheap optis (or MSD for that matter) is questionable at best unfortunately, it's a gamble if you get a good one or not. What mods does the car have? Headers are known to burn wires unless you do the OTV conversion or route them really good with zip ties.

Quick Reply: Problem after installing new opti