LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

no motivation

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no motivation

shes been sitting like this for 4+ years. I have most everything I need for the v6 to v8 swap to commence but no motivation. somebody please come smack me.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

It's not gonna build itself (although it would be bitchin if it did).
Old 03-08-2014, 07:13 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Been there, still going through that. Just to change valve springs (on car) it took me almost 11 months to get motivated. I did some small things here and there during that time, but nothing that took more than a few minutes. I can totally understand what you're going through. If my car were like that in the mindset I am in anymore it'd probably be sold for scrap.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Been there, still going through that. Just to change valve springs (on car) it took me almost 11 months to get motivated. I did some small things here and there during that time, but nothing that took more than a few minutes. I can totally understand what you're going through. If my car were like that in the mindset I am in anymore it'd probably be sold for scrap.
That is what I am going to do with my 97 Z/28 scrap it. Only difference here is that my Z/28 is gutted and has front end damage.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Sit down make a detailed list of what you want (being realistic on what you can afford) make a second list of jobs that can be done in a couple of days and finally a third list of jobs that will be more time and or labor intensive. Start knocking the small stuff off and before you know it you will underway and priming that motaved feeling that got the car to where it is now. The whole time remembering what it's like to drive, race or show what you built.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go to a car show,the races or whatever you like doing with your car. It should be enough motivation to have it done by next weekend
Old 03-08-2014, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sell everything and just buy a V8 car...problem solved. After 4 years of sitting like that you think internet forum people will motivate you?? LOL
Old 03-10-2014, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Mine goes on Craigslist at least once a year when this happens, usually someone comes, says they'll take it, but I turn them away at the last minute. Then fall or a track day happens and bam motivation. It's all cyclical, I think what I've learned is never take the car so far apart that the list of "to do" gets so big you get intimidated. Even if you just hang the fenders and front cover and hood on there so to the eye it looks closer, it helps. It's important to get to enjoy the car each month, even if its a blast around town or a test n tune. Don't give up!
Old 03-10-2014, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
Go to a car show,the races or whatever you like doing with your car. It should be enough motivation to have it done by next weekend
x2!

What I always do when I'm feeling lack of motivation to work on my pile is going and finding huge build threads of SWEET cars. Usually after a hour or so of staring at someone else's major work and seeing how pristine the car looks after is enough to get me back.

SO, when the hell are the progress pics coming?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

I'm 7 years into my 3 year project, motivation comes and goes. Life
also has a way of stealing time, money and motivation to keep going
on a project. I just keep looking at what the end result will be, and try to
get something done big or small.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a lot of work to do on that thing to say the least...Scrap it and sell the LT1 parts and buy a nice LS1 car, no more opti BS, hardly any motivation needed!....there, I said it!

Best advice you'll hear all day!
Old 03-10-2014, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I feel the same way. I took all last year off from racing to save for a house and still don't have one. I got my new engine running last year and only put 112 miles on it! Even though the car will be much faster this year and I got a rv and trailer to take it to the track it just seems like so much time and money.
I did just get back in from staring at her in the garage though, does that count??
Old 03-10-2014, 07:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car just moved today for the first time after 8 years. You really gotta dig deep and say, I am going to finish this project. It really helps to have someone who is highly motivated working with you.

Trust me I know. Life happens. College, Joining the Military, buying a home, getting engaged... Just gotta keep on tacking away at this until you get to where you want it to be. If you want it to happen, it will. Stay positive and good luck man.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

And I thought I was the only one feeling this way lol. What is getting me motivated again is seeing other people driving their F-bodies now that the polar vortex has receded. Makes me remember how awesome it feels to drive a badass muscle car that I modified instead of some fwd POS! Mine has been sitting for 2 years getting ready for a cam swap/rebuild and to repair everything that doesn't work (including the opti). Also the scope of my project was so big that it felt impossible to finish. Break it down step by step. For example I decided to just focus on what's in the engine bay. I will get it running first and worry about my body work later.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quit bitchin and go work on it. Do something every day and you'll be loving it when the weather is gorgeous. The swap is easy, did it in a weekend.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

uuuum, OP didn't even have the motivation to come back and look for the motivation he asked for in the first place. My guess? That swaps not gonna happen.

S, he should have just left the V6 in it. After 4 years it might have sprouted an extra 2 cyclinders on its own.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
...he should have just left the V6 in it. After 4 years it might have sprouted an extra 2 cyclinders on its own.
That's not true. I've been giving my car plenty of water and sunlight and I still don't have a stinkin V10!
Old 03-13-2014, 06:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Easiest way to get motivated? Get a sampler pack of a nice spring beer, like blue moon or Sam Adams, get the radio playing some classic rock or whatever your into, and get a friend over to work with you. Where are you located? I'm sure there are guys on this board who would come help. If your in the nova, DC or md area I would.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1FirebirdSLP
My car just moved today for the first time after 8 years. You really gotta dig deep and say, I am going to finish this project. It really helps to have someone who is highly motivated working with you.

Trust me I know. Life happens. College, Joining the Military, buying a home, getting engaged... Just gotta keep on tacking away at this until you get to where you want it to be. If you want it to happen, it will. Stay positive and good luck man.
You've said a mouthful!!

For some insane reason, I've been fooling with my various cars for well over 40 years, and still haven't learned to leave "well enough alone"!!! But in highlighting part of your post, I'll say that having interested friends helps a lot. Sadly, for me, most of my car enthusiast friends were 3-5 years older than I am (I'm turning 62 in 6-7 weeks), and they A) stopped wrenching 10-15 years ago, and B) retired 6-8 years ago, moved south, and do nothing but play golf!

The real bummer for me, however, is the cold weather. This year, winter just won't quit!! I just came in from running the snowblower around for about 45 minutes. It's 7* right now, and we got over a foot of snow overnight!
Old 03-13-2014, 09:56 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Sadly, for me, most of my car enthusiast friends were 3-5 years older than I am (I'm turning 62 in 6-7 weeks), and they A) stopped wrenching 10-15 years ago, and B) retired 6-8 years ago, moved south, and do nothing but play golf!
Same thing here, however most of those I knew around me were younger and became responsible adults, and the interest went out the window once they were seriously dating/married. No car scene around here anymore unless you go to the local Sat/Sun shindig, sit in a lawn chair, talk about back in the day six hundred years ago, pack up and leave before sundown. Only time my car gets driven any more is to on the occasional weekend and maybe to the track twice a year...

Quick Reply: no motivation