Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Dropping driveline in my C5Z, couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropping driveline in my C5Z, couple questions

anyone have a good step by step how to? Ive been using http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?...ches&Itemid=56

the "cajundude" one is no longer available and some of the others ive found linked through out the forums. I just found the one ive been using a little vague at times.

Im almost ready to drop the motor but i still need to remove a couple more things.

my biggest problem is do i unbolt the ABS module from its bracket and let it hang or do i disconnect it from the master cylinder and drop it with the front cradle.

I dont want to drop all the brake lines. i am dropping the trans/torque tube/rear diff as well. is it recommended to remove everything at once, or trans/diff/TqT then the engine.

thanks for the replies and insight.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Derek, best of luck on this one! I'm not sure how it's all done, but most Vette shops do this pretty frequently. Every time they so a clutch, they tend to drop at least the torque tube. I don't believe they ABS module is dropped, or left hanging.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 427zm
Derek, best of luck on this one! I'm not sure how it's all done, but most Vette shops do this pretty frequently. Every time they so a clutch, they tend to drop at least the torque tube. I don't believe they ABS module is dropped, or left hanging.
thanks, Im also dropping the motor this time. I suspect a spun rod bearing. but i figure drop EVERYTHING at once and as i fix it put it back up. I wish i got more than 1000 miles before i had these major issues haha
Old 03-07-2014, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sick_tight
thanks, Im also dropping the motor this time. I suspect a spun rod bearing. but i figure drop EVERYTHING at once and as i fix it put it back up. I wish i got more than 1000 miles before i had these major issues haha
When did the spun main make an appearance? Why do you suspect that as well? Did you hear squealing? Any bottom end knocking?
Old 03-08-2014, 12:23 AM
TECH Regular

When did the spun main make an appearance? Why do you suspect that as well? Did you hear squealing? Any bottom end knocking?
started with a louder ticking. I suspected the crack in my exhaust opened up more so i was on the way back to the house when my oil pressure started dropping to zero and the engine had some bad knocking. so i pulled into a parking lot and had her towed back to my garage
Old 03-08-2014, 03:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Search for a thread by 'dope' on the corvette forum. He has an excellent write up for changing a clutch which will get you half way there. The engine will still be your baby. I've done the clutch in mine twice and you don't need to drop the the lines or unit.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

yeah ive dropped the trans and diff before and it wasnt that bad. I was mainly curious about the brake lines. one write up said to only remove the caliper lines and the other wanted all the lines dropped with it. guess ill forge my own path. haha

apparently the cajun dude site was the way to go but all the links say the domain name is no longer available. biggest things i have left are removing the shock bolt and the upper A arms. then the Brake lines. only sensors i have left are on the passenger side by the starter as well as the starter.

rear end is almost ready to drop but that i can do with out a problem.

thanks for the help ill post any updates. too bad i didnt think about making my own writeup myself. maybe after i get everything done and put it all back up ill just reverse the instal and document it that way.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm quite interested in seeing how this goes for you as I need to dig into mine real soon here.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:12 PM
TECH Regular

well im about to drop the motor, i decided to remove the rear lines and master cylinder lines and drop the 2 front lines with the front cradle. trans/tt/diff are removed and now im about to drop the motor. looks like i have possibly one last connector going to the ABS module that ill need to remove but looks like everything is ready to go.

BUT i drained the oil and it doesnt look pretty. a whole lot of shavings, looks to be 3 needle bearings, and a "cup" looking metal piece stuck to the drain plug magnet. ill post pictures soon.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:41 PM
Launching!

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

is this on a lift or stands
Old 03-10-2014, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

stands
Old 03-10-2014, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sick_tight
well im about to drop the motor, i decided to remove the rear lines and master cylinder lines and drop the 2 front lines with the front cradle. trans/tt/diff are removed and now im about to drop the motor. looks like i have possibly one last connector going to the ABS module that ill need to remove but looks like everything is ready to go.

BUT i drained the oil and it doesnt look pretty. a whole lot of shavings, looks to be 3 needle bearings, and a "cup" looking metal piece stuck to the drain plug magnet. ill post pictures soon.
I guess it had stock rockers still? That's the only explanation for the needle bearings. Regardless, as long as the crank is ok, the repair shouldn't be sky high. When you get the motor out, give Kim Barr a buzz to discuss the tear down, and rebuild.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

I guess it had stock rockers still? That's the only explanation for the needle bearings. Regardless, as long as the crank is ok, the repair shouldn't be sky high. When you get the motor out, give Kim Barr a buzz to discuss the tear down, and rebuild.
my buddy was saying wrist pin, but im going to drop it today or wait until the weekend. and then i can open her up and figure out whats causing this and hopefully it wont be a whole hell of a lot of money. haha

ugh im going to call this car paris hilton or teen mom because its an attention craving ***** who refuses to work.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

id say that it was a lifter but would a lifter cause my motor to sound like it was falling apart? there was a lot of shavings and i read rockers can let go of needle bearings but my roller rockers looked perfect

and i tried to shoot kim barr an email since ive seen his name pop up a bit and how good of a job he does but i didnt get anything back but ill just have to call once i drop the motor and tear it down. hopefully the metal didnt take out the oil pump which could have taken out the motor.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

If a wrist pin fully let go, you'd most likely have a ventilated block My guess is, a main or rod bearing was letting lose, which is why you were getting the noise. This would explain the shavings; the needle bearings have to be the rockers or possibly the wrist pins starting to go. There's another Vette guy I know dealing w/ a similar deal; he heads what he thought was a lifter ticking, come to find out, it was a rod bearing starting to go.

Hopefully, you can line bore it, turn the crank, oversize the rod bearings, and call it a day. If it's too deep and it's major work; reuse your TF's and TSP, or ERL your bottom end. Paris will love ya for it
Old 03-10-2014, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

As for Kim, he may be hard to reach by email. He works in his shop all day. Phone is the best way to reach him.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

heres the pictures.

The main concern, still cant figure out what that bucket or cup looking piece is

Old 03-11-2014, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

well, dropped it last night. went without a hitch so im happy. now time to tear it down.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

did the motor come out the bottom? the brakes being there is throwing me off a bit.
just taking notes, i'll probably be there one day
Old 03-14-2014, 08:44 AM
TECH Regular

I have the motor dropped and I took it out through the bottom with the front cradle. I was worried about tearing some wires but it comes down pretty easily. I did have to lift the front end up a hair more but thats because the alternator bracket and heads were still on and with the bracket and PS resivour still attached its considerably taller. But I did it alone in my garage so its definitely manageable. I'll throw some pictures out today of it removed.

Quick Reply: Dropping driveline in my C5Z, couple questions