Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission clunk (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission clunk (Video)

Video above is my stock t56, driving on the highway the other day, and as I got on I felt a lot more vibration that usual. At first I thought it was missing, but when I got home and jacked the car up, the transmission makes that clunk sound whenever its in any gear. Seems to be a little more violent in the upper gears. Going to remove the transmission in two days, just seeing if anyone had any experience with this. Seems to go away when I push the clutch in, which leads me to believe its clutch related but I have little experience with trans diagnosis or repair.

At 70 car vibrates like the trans is going to fly out of the damn car, so not driving it right now.

More info
-76000 miles
-I don't hammer the car a lot, drive more grandmotherly than anything
-No problems with trans before this
Old 03-11-2014, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are sure that there is nothing hitting your drive shaft, and the sound isn't just following all the way thru?
Old 03-15-2014, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen last year, same sound and everything. I took the trans out and found that one of the springs on my spec 3 disk had broken. I hope it's not that, but that's what I would look into. Drop the trans and look around.

Quick Reply: Transmission clunk (Video)