Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter Knob.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter ****.

Okay so this morning I was on my way to the University and my car wouldn't shift. The shifter **** would not go in like it normally does to make it go in to reverse, drive, neutral, ect ect. I'm not sure whether to take it to a shop or try fixing it myself. Please help me.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure you had depressed the brake pedal all the way? It sounds like the brake interlock has failed.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Exeodus
Are you sure you had depressed the brake pedal all the way? It sounds like the brake interlock has failed.
I was thinking the same thing, but thought it was too obvious lol. I feel better that someone else thinks the same thing.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:30 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 193 Likes on 162 Posts

If you mean that you couldn't move it out of park, and you had the brake fully depressed, that's the shift interlock solenoid. I had it happen a few times during the first year or two I had my car. I just muscled it and it hasn't happened since. If you want to replace it, it's under the console.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From another perspective, I experienced a problem with the shifter not moving sometimes, and it turned out that the stock shift **** had worn down and was bending the white plastic piece on the inside of the shifter stalk (I can't remember what it's called off-hand, but it depresses when you press the shift handle button). My fix was to use an MBA adapter and a Hurst T-handle from the WS6Store so you press down on it directly.

It could very well be a faulty shift interlock solenoid in your case, but it takes 30 seconds to remove the shift **** to check this, so it was worth suggesting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shifter Knob.