0%
Other
40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Replace 1 lifter or all 16? Best brand?

Old 05-13-2004, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Replace 1 lifter or all 16? Best brand?

I've been searching several threads, but haven't gotten a clear answer.

I have one obviously bad lifter. The plating is eaten away in one small spot on the roller. The cam had a similar eaten away spot on the base circle on the same valve.

I can replace just the one, or all 16. I don't know the history of this engine. (other than it's from a '98 and had around 80k on it and was in a wreck - the alternator was full of gravel...)

Bought it to swap in place of my v6. Got if off ebay from a guy in Florida who bought it to put in a truck but never did. He bought it off ebay from a guy in PA. Cylinders look good. Bearings were worn. Cam and lifter had the 2 bad spots on them. No idea if the other lifters hold good pressure or not. The engine had been sitting for over a year, between all the moving around the country and 3 months in my garage now.

I'm putting dual springs on it (they come with the TEA stage 1.5 heads). I'm leaning towards just replacing all of them. So I think I answered that part of my own question.

*** So that leads to the question of what brand to get. ***

I see Crane stock online for $240.
I see Comp stock replacements online for $200.
Local parts places carry Clevite 213-1738's for $170-210.

What should I get???

Last edited by John_D.; 05-13-2004 at 02:15 PM. Reason: add engine mileage
Old 05-13-2004, 03:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used the Crane lifters in a lot of big motors, including our own personal race cars. Go with the Crane lifters. Give me a call if you need them at 1-866-462-4500. Joe.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

I've only used Comp lifters and I've been real happy with them. Being that you're going to have to take the heads off to replace the lifters I would replace all 16 lifters which would make things easier for the future.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

The Morel stuff will be out very soon. 8620 Steel body, fully machined, OD held to =/- .0005", improved valving for higher rpm stability without pump up. Retail street value will probly be in the $400 range, but you get what you pay for. Several cam companies have already placed orders for them.

Chris
Old 05-13-2004, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cstraub
The Morel stuff will be out very soon. 8620 Steel body, fully machined, OD held to =/- .0005", improved valving for higher rpm stability without pump up. Retail street value will probly be in the $400 range, but you get what you pay for. Several cam companies have already placed orders for them.

Chris
Chris, will they have the ligther pre-load setup requirements needed on the Comp Rs?
Old 05-13-2004, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

No. They will be very user friendly. Due to the tolerance they can hold on the ID grinding of the bodies, they don't have to have a "fudge factor" built in for oil metering.

Chris
Old 05-13-2004, 04:13 PM
Teching In

No. They will be very user friendly. Due to the tolerance they can hold on the ID grinding of the bodies, they don't have to have a "fudge factor" built in for oil metering.

Chris
Can you explain a little more about these lifters and how they differ from the others on the market. THANKS!
Old 05-13-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

These guys are "out of the box" types. A gentleman by the name of Austin Coyle contacted them about a lifter problem in fuel cars.. . 2 runs and the exhaust lifter due to exhaust pressures was toast. After a few months of testing. ..the dual axle roller lifter was a working protoype and successfully ran Force to another Title.

Hyd. rollers suffer from pumping up. "Out of the box" thinking to improve the lifter has produced a new valving design. More rpms for more reliable power. I know 2 owners of cam companies that have tested them and have been throughly impressed. Comp must have been impressed with the fuel lifter since it is in their catalog. With customer like Eaton, Westinghouse, GE, Cummins, . . . they aren't no fly by nights.

Chris
Old 05-13-2004, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

For my purposes, I'm finishing the rebuild this weekend and next. I did rod and main bearings last weekend, inspect and cleaning pistons and rings. After finishing the rebuild, I'm doing the v6 to v8 swap over Memorial Day weekend.

So I need to get my hands on something that's available now.

So far I have seem to have one vote for Crane and one for Comp. Nothing compelling one way or the other though. Other than the Comps are 20% less expensive...
Old 05-13-2004, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

These guys are "out of the box" types. A gentleman by the name of Austin Coyle contacted them about a lifter problem in fuel cars.. . 2 runs and the exhaust lifter due to exhaust pressures was toast. After a few months of testing. ..the dual axle roller lifter was a working protoype and successfully ran Force to another Title.

Hyd. rollers suffer from pumping up. "Out of the box" thinking to improve the lifter has produced a new valving design. More rpms for more reliable power. I know 2 owners of cam companies that have tested them and have been throughly impressed. Comp must have been impressed with the fuel lifter since it is in their catalog. With customer like Eaton, Westinghouse, GE, Cummins, . . . they aren't no fly by nights.

Chris
Please let us know when they become available.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cannibal,
The lifters will be available the first week of June.
Terry at Patriot will be a dealer for them.
Chris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replace 1 lifter or all 16? Best brand?