Anyone ever ship a car across the country before?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 06:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Anyone ever ship a car across the country before?

What's up guys. Long story short, my best friend since I was barely 10 years old committed suicide last month. Therefore, his '01 SS Camaro is now owner-less, though his mom mentioned getting the title in her name and she wanted to pass it on to me, knowing that out of everyone we both know, it has the most sentimental value to me and that I would take care of it and cherish it. I mean hell, it's the car I learned to drive in years ago and what got me into F-bodies and as a result into cars period.

I'm considering having it shipped out to me a bit south of Houston from San Jose, CA. I was there a few weeks ago for his funeral, but I will be back there again in late July for a close friend's sister's wedding. I had thought to pick it up then as I'd be in San Jose for a week on a much lighter, friendlier visit and catch up with old friends, and then just drive the Camaro 2,000 miles home, but at the same time just shipping it to me now is a tempting prospect as well

Anyone have any experience with shipping a car? Who did you use, how far was it and how much did it run you if you don't mind me asking? I've seen quotes from $600 to over double that amount. If it's too much, then I'll just drive it which doesn't really bother me, but if it can be done for a fair price I will do that instead.

Appreciate it!
Old 03-11-2014, 06:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for you're loss bro. Contact albert at ground force one transport and tell him mario from hkuston sent you. I use them all the time and they are awesome with competitive prices. 215-284-0448
Old 03-11-2014, 06:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I have shipped a few. Usually 600-800 on an open carrier. Around 1200 to 1600 on an enclosed carrier. This was from California to here and here to Michigan. To ship my current car from Arizona to here was about 800 covered, so it depends on distance. You can spend more with GPS tracking and internet updates etc....

Give this guy a call...Rick - 417-880-0580. He will shop you a hauler. He's not fast, but he will get the best deal. I have used his service for four cars...

T,
Old 03-11-2014, 06:34 AM
TECH Resident

Wow, fast responses, thank you guys! I will definitely be giving those two a call later today. I really appreciate it!
Old 03-11-2014, 10:06 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Very sorry for your loss..

We are also a forum sponsor and an auto transport broker as well. Give us a call and we'd love to get you a quote.
Mention you heard about us on the forums and we'll give you a discount.

http://www.angelsmovingautos.com/
(530) 245-0481

-Dima
Old 03-11-2014, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry to hear about your friend.

70 nova from Chicago to Austin, open: $675

All I can say is that these guys are rarely on time, but it still worked out in the end.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by baddogz28
Sorry to hear about your friend.

70 nova from Chicago to Austin, open: $675

All I can say is that these guys are rarely on time, but it still worked out in the end.
what company did you use? PM in need be......
Old 03-13-2014, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nothing against AnglesTransport but be careful when dealing with brokers. If there is damage to the vehicle it can be difficult collecting. Your contract is with the broker not the carrier. So you have to wait for the broker to collect from the carrier then pass the settlement amount on to you. If the carrier refuses to pay for the damages the broker can refuse to pay you. Also you have no way to know if the broker collected or not.

Also when dealing with a broker you are adding a middle man to everything from the pickup time to the delivery time. It is easy for things to get changed with out you being informed.

Again let me say I know nothing about Angles Transport and I am not trying to question their integrity. There are many good honest brokers but it only takes one bad one to screw you.

Personally I would like to be talking to the company that is actually transporting my car. That way I know exactly who to contact for any information or issues.

So be careful with your choice.

Good luck.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ss performance
Nothing against AnglesTransport but be careful when dealing with brokers. If there is damage to the vehicle it can be difficult collecting. Your contract is with the broker not the carrier. So you have to wait for the broker to collect from the carrier then pass the settlement amount on to you. If the carrier refuses to pay for the damages the broker can refuse to pay you. Also you have no way to know if the broker collected or not.

Also when dealing with a broker you are adding a middle man to everything from the pickup time to the delivery time. It is easy for things to get changed with out you being informed.

Again let me say I know nothing about Angles Transport and I am not trying to question their integrity. There are many good honest brokers but it only takes one bad one to screw you.

Personally I would like to be talking to the company that is actually transporting my car. That way I know exactly who to contact for any information or issues.

So be careful with your choice.

Good luck.
Having worked for a freight brokerage company in the past I'll vouch for this. It's a crazy market. The company I worked for didn't deal in autos but I can imagine it's very similar.

If you can get the driver's phone# to check in with him you can plan a little better on your end. Like said before, they are rarely on time and having some type of contact will help make the process more simple. The auto transport guys may be easier to deal with than the many OTR guys out there.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:24 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

We've been in the business for over ten years and have built relationship with many amazing carriers that we use all the time. We have hundreds and hundreds of carriers we no longer use because they did not meet our standard of excellence when transporting cars. As a result we happen to be #1 in customer satisfaction. We are also in the process of buying our own trucks to bring even better service to our customers.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Interesting information ss performance, I'll keep that in mind for the future.

What it actually turns out I'll be doing is likely driving it back here to Texas from California. The more I think about it, the better of an idea it seems. For one, it will enable me to have a car to transport myself around town when I visit San Jose in a few months so I won't need to rent one or rely on another people.

From there I'll drive it across the country and stop in Fort Worth, TX for a couple of days and inspect it at my friends' shop. And from there bring it down home.

Appreciate everyone's input a lot though, thank you!

Quick Reply: Anyone ever ship a car across the country before?