Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous back fire

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous back fire

Shooting fireballs on the initial hit.? Not sure why it's doing that any suggestions on what to check..? 125 shot running 110 gas w tr6 plugs.. Need to get it figured out ASAP
Old 03-11-2014, 03:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People are still spraying cars with TR6's in them in 2014 ?? Damn.

How much timing are you pulling? When?
Check make sure all your plugs are still there.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ATVracr
People are still spraying cars with TR6's in them in 2014 ?? Damn.

How much timing are you pulling? When?
Check make sure all your plugs are still there.
ATV, it doesn't help that the stickies still show a "TR6" as the plug to run. If that was changed, maybe we wouldn't have so many guys coming on here using them.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

change your plugs! You should be running Br7ef plugs
Old 03-12-2014, 03:07 PM
Teching In

I got 4 degrees pulled out for that.. And I just picked up a set of the br7 plugs hopefully that does the trick
Old 03-12-2014, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blk496ss
Shooting fireballs on the initial hit.? Not sure why it's doing that any suggestions on what to check..? 125 shot running 110 gas w tr6 plugs.. Need to get it figured out ASAP
When shooting nitrous, you want to avoid excessive heat production.
TR6s are designed to protrude in to the combustion chamber to maintain an efficient cylinder burn. This is wonderful for a fuel efficient street car. Engine AFR and timing create the explosion that creates heat, so no need to stick a hot pocker in the chamber with nitrous. That little ceramic tip protruding in to the cylinder is white because it gets so hot nothing short of metal (piston, valve, head pieces) will stick to it or should I say melt, then cool to it. If thats not enough, there is always the super-brain that throws too much spark at his nitrous engine. Add these two together and you get pre-ignition,and who knows if lucky enough maybe dieseling like a top fuel car. I could be wrong, but thats my opinion on protruding plugs and nitrous.

The TR6s are intended for low rpm burn and street driving and do a great job at that. I have also used them for nitrous, but not the best choice.

Now, regarding your fireballs. That is awesome and a video is required. : )
I'm guessing you are spewing fuel in the exhaust. Could your mix be to rich?
Maybe plugs being blown out? Wide gap?

More data needed. Suggest a BR7EF plug tight gap.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:33 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
When shooting nitrous, you want to avoid excessive heat production.
TR6s are designed to protrude in to the combustion chamber to maintain an efficient cylinder burn. This is wonderful for a fuel efficient street car. Engine AFR and timing create the explosion that creates heat, so no need to stick a hot pocker in the chamber with nitrous. That little ceramic tip protruding in to the cylinder is white because it gets so hot nothing short of metal (piston, valve, head pieces) will stick to it or should I say melt, then cool to it. If thats not enough, there is always the super-brain that throws too much spark at his nitrous engine. Add these two together and you get pre-ignition,and who knows if lucky enough maybe dieseling like a top fuel car. I could be wrong, but thats my opinion on protruding plugs and nitrous.

The TR6s are intended for low rpm burn and street driving and do a great job at that. I have also used them for nitrous, but not the best choice.

Now, regarding your fireballs. That is awesome and a video is required. : )
I'm guessing you are spewing fuel in the exhaust. Could your mix be to rich?
Maybe plugs being blown out? Wide gap?

More data needed. Suggest a BR7EF plug tight gap.
x2 on the video of fireballs! and also x2 on the br7ef gapped at 32 and 4 degrees pulled thats what i run on 100 shot no probs
Old 03-13-2014, 04:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Can you tell us more about your system?
Old 03-14-2014, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Fire out exhaust or intake? intake is normally lean. exhaust can go either way.It would need to be way off for it to be lean. I assume the car also does not pull when the fireball shoots out. timming issues can cause it but 4 from 28 should not be your issue.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

The only time I've ever popped one through the intake is from valve float (getting fuel back in the manifold, then igniting), and pulling too much timing on the hit. Every time I have popped out the exhaust has been directly related to ignition. Burnt rotor button, plugs too old, too much plug gap.... basically a weak spark.

Watch the hood at the end of the run. BOOM!!!
Old 03-18-2014, 03:43 AM
Teching In

Well I put br7ef tonight.. My system is pretty simple I'm running motor and nitrous on same pump. But I just bought everything to run separate fuel for nitrous.. What do y'all use to upload videos so I can show y'all??
Old 03-18-2014, 07:30 AM
12 Second Club

youtube?
Old 03-18-2014, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WE TODD DID
The only time I've ever popped one through the intake is from valve float (getting fuel back in the manifold, then igniting), and pulling too much timing on the hit. Every time I have popped out the exhaust has been directly related to ignition. Burnt rotor button, plugs too old, too much plug gap.... basically a weak spark.

Watch the hood at the end of the run. BOOM!!!
http://youtu.be/z6jGbivOAdE
we have ran into failing springs intake backfiring. or when you get to the limit of hyd springs. But on a setup that works fine to start backfiring out the intake look at it being overly lean at the hit.They also tend ot not be the hood throwing style backfire and more of a pop with some flames that go out right away.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:29 PM

Do you have a window switch? I turn it on @3800 RPM

Quick Reply: Nitrous back fire