LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cooling fan problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling fan problems

I have a 95 z28 i pulled the engine to replace the head gaskets. Engine is back in and runs great but wont come up to temp. The cooling fans come on along with the ses. Ive talked to a few people and i have checked the fuse for the air pump, unpluged it replaced the thermostat and both coolant temp sensors. Finally got a scanner to read got the 29 eas electrical system failure. Dont know what to do or what to check next. Any info would be great.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

A good fuse and relay in the AIR pump circuit should keep the code 29 away. You don't indicate where you live, so it makes it hard to know what ambient temps you are having. If it is a cold climate, the constant fans may keep the engine cooler than normal. A scanner would be helpful to compare gauge and PCM indicated temps. You also should make sure the system is properly bled of air.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:07 AM

I live in anderson indiana. Ive bled the cooling system after i flused it again. It didnt do this before i pulled it so i didnt know if it was possibly a vac problem or what im not that great at electrical so.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:09 AM

As of right now the air pump and the air shut off solenoid are both unplugged and didnt make a bit of difference.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:10 PM

I changed that relay and so far so good! Thanks!!!
Old 03-13-2014, 11:27 AM

Default please help!!!!

okay on my way to work and it did it again swapped out the relay again just to be sure and its still doing it please help me
Old 03-13-2014, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Your thermostat sets the running temp of your engine(if running cold). If the thermostat
is closed no water is moving throught the system letting the engine to warm up to operating temp. Your fans can run all the time, if there is no
water moving through the system ( thermostst closed) the engine should
warm up. I would say thermostat is bad or you have coolant bypass
the thermostst sum how. ( maybe head gasket ?)
Old 03-13-2014, 01:30 PM

ive already replaced the thermostat I unplugged the fans and the car got up to normal temp set there for a min and then the thermostat opened and dropped it to just above the first mark so im assuming the thermostat is working properly. when the fans aren't on everything works like normal but when they are plugged in they come on a little over 160 deg and then the temp wont go above it.

I have just replaced the head gaskets. hooked up a pressure tester and am not loosing any pressure. yesterday I changed the relay and it was doing like it was suppose to getting up to a little over half before the fans would kick on had good heat and everything was fine started it up this morning and the problem was back.

Last edited by Brant84; 03-13-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Has there been any custom programming done? Maybe the fan temps were altered. You should still use a scanner to compare the PCM observed temp vs. the gauge.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shbox
Has there been any custom programming done? Maybe the fan temps were altered. You should still use a scanner to compare the PCM observed temp vs. the gauge.
^What he said, my temp gauge stopped working even with a new coolant temp for sensor for the gauge; now I have a gauge pod with a aftermarket coolant temp gauge (it's more precise anyway even if slightly ghetto)

Besides, cool is good for the LT1 making power! Just wait till a 95 degree day in summer and your stuck idling in traffic, you won't have any "too cold" issues
Old 03-13-2014, 03:46 PM

no it hasn't had any programing. it blew a head gasket last fall right before I got ready to put it up and everything was fine before that happened. ill keep tryin to find a scanner to read it but I cant see the gauge being off by much because the heater is only putting out luk warm heat but yesterday when it actually came up it was blowing out good hot air.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:38 PM
Launching!

sounds lile your computer is thinking that the engine is running hotter than it actually is. check your sensors again and make sure they are reading accurately. if they are corroded or have broken or kinked connections, it could be messing with the resistance and throwing your readings off. you can use a dvom to check the resistance in the sensors and compare it to spec.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

Maybe the thermostat is bad, it would not be the first one bad out of the box. The thermostat is the only thing that would let the engine run to cool.
Also if the fans are coming on there nothing wrong with the relays.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:53 PM

ill do some more checking this weekend and see what happens I appreciate the advice guys thanks a lot!!!
Old 03-16-2014, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Brant84
ill do some more checking this weekend and see what happens I appreciate the advice guys thanks a lot!!!
What is the temp of the thermostat you installed? LT1 like a 190° thermostat.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jsflyrv
What is the temp of the thermostat you installed? LT1 like a 190° thermostat.
180° is the stock thermostat rating for LT1s. They definitely don't like anything hotter.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:44 PM

I finally found it. A rookie mistake should have caught it earlier. The ground strap for the engine to the frame wasnt grounded right. Cleaned them up and cleaned up where it hooked to the frame and evetlrything is back to normal. Thanks alot for the ideas and the advice guys i really appreciate it!
Old 03-22-2014, 01:29 PM
Launching!

after i did my floorpans, i rubberized undercoated all of them to reduce noise and protect them a little bit better. went to start it and wasn't getting fuel. couldn't figure out why. turns out we had a similar problem. ground some of the undercoat off of the grounding point on the floor and resecured the strap and it fired right up. should have thought to suggest that to you sooner. sorry!

Quick Reply: Cooling fan problems