Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo guys- exhaust leak help

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo guys- exhaust leak help

Im running a rear mount system. When i first got it all together there was a small exhaust leak from the y pipe on both sides (or so it sounded like). I did a few races to about 130 with a guy and at the end of the last pull i lost boost and had a huge exhaust leak. Its so loud that unless i put a smoke machine to it i cant tell if its the manifolds to the block, or manifolds to the y pipe. So i tightened down it all, the ypipe was tight but the manifolds bolts were a little loose so i tightened them all down. I still have a massive leak, and im guessing i blew out a gasket. Does that happen alot where you blow a gasket 1 month into having a car together? also i had a felpro with rtv on both sides, so i think i did it right, just wanting some input if this has happened to anyone else
Old 03-12-2014, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What size are your manifolds (exh) or what year of GM vehicle are they from?

What size is your y-pipe (stock or MAC off road style...etc)?

What size is your exhaust tubing from your y-pipe to turbo housing?

You may have absurd amounts of backpressure...you may have had faulty gaskets (or cheap ones)...you may have warped exhaust manifolds.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fstr n u
What size are your manifolds (exh) or what year of GM vehicle are they from?

What size is your y-pipe (stock or MAC off road style...etc)?

What size is your exhaust tubing from your y-pipe to turbo housing?

You may have absurd amounts of backpressure...you may have had faulty gaskets (or cheap ones)...you may have warped exhaust manifolds.
its a its a 95 car, stock manifolds-ypipe-no cat- 3" exhaust to the turbo, which is a precision 67mm with a t4 flange, its a rear mount car.

I did a motor swap, with either a 93-94 motor, so it might have those year manifolds on it, but they looked exactly the same to me.

Quick Reply: Turbo guys- exhaust leak help