Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Push Rods

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 03:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push Rods

I am going to install a LG Motorsports G5X3 cam , lift .600 intake .610 exhaust . I also have a Comp Cams spring kit as well as trunnions for the stock rockers . How do I determine how long the push rods have to be ?
Old 03-12-2014, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Measure them...
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-275-com...h-checker.aspx
Old 03-13-2014, 02:54 AM
On The Tree

Default Push Rods

Originally Posted by conan
Do I just measure the stock ones and go from there ? I work in a machine shop , aerospace , so I have access to verniers and micrometers .
Old 03-14-2014, 01:01 AM
Teching In

7.400 5/16 is the stock size. If you can have the downtime just use that tool once you get the cam in and order the rod size you came up with. Or you can also find someone running that cam and see what rods they went with if their set up is similar. I called my cam vendor went with his choice from past install experience but still ordered the checker to be safe its only $20 to save headache later.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1LE Hugger Orange
Do I just measure the stock ones and go from there ? I work in a machine shop , aerospace , so I have access to verniers and micrometers .
As stated the stockers are 7.4". You can buy a few differant lengths, (7.35", 7.45", ect ect) That push rod in the link will adjust, so you put it in place of one push rod and then torque down the rocker arm. Then you adjust the rod to set the recommeded preload of the lifter you are using, once that is done you remove the rocker arm and adjustable rod. The rod has the length #'s on it, so then you order the push rod length you measured.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:31 AM
On The Tree

As stated the stockers are 7.4". You can buy a few differant lengths, (7.35", 7.45", ect ect) That push rod in the link will adjust, so you put it in place of one push rod and then torque down the rocker arm. Then you adjust the rod to set the recommeded preload of the lifter you are using, once that is done you remove the rocker arm and adjustable rod. The rod has the length #'s on it, so then you order the push rod length you measured.
How do you check the preload ?
Old 03-19-2014, 09:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Once you have the push rod length at 0 lash you add the manufacture recomended preload to the length of the push rod.

So the LS7 lifter for example likes .050"-.075" of preload so you would add that to your length of the adjustable push rod.

What lifters are you running?
Old 03-20-2014, 03:10 AM
On The Tree

Once you have the push rod length at 0 lash you add the manufacture recomended preload to the length of the push rod.

So the LS7 lifter for example likes .050"-.075" of preload so you would add that to your length of the adjustable push rod.

What lifters are you running?
Stock lifters with stock LS1 rockers but with a comp cams trunnion kit and a comp spring kit . LG Motorsports says to run 7.4 " pushrods for the G5X3 cam . Should I look at updating the lifters ?

Quick Reply: Push Rods