Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveshaft took out catback. Need opinions for build.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft took out catback. Need opinions for build.

Hey everybody Im not trying to make "another" exhaust thread but I cannot decide what to do. I did some searching but couldn't find all the answers I needed. I originally had ebay stainless LT's with LPP ory and a Magnaflow catback with an electric cutout. Last year I launched at the track on slicks and ripped the pinion gear out of my 9" which smashed part of my catback and ruined my cutout. Winter is coming to an end so I need a new exhaust.

I will be adding a D1 Procharger at 8psi down the road and I want my exhaust to be done. Im hoping to be in the 550-600whp range. The cheap exhaust option would be to just replace the pipe that is smashed on my catback and purchase a new cutout. But for not too much more money I could get a TSP true dual setup. I love the sound of my setup now, both open and closed. I know I would be looking at atleast $200 to have a true dual system taken all the way out the back which I would want done.

Would it be best to go with a true dual system for the extra money and perhaps add cutouts down the road? Does a catback/y pipe combo flow enough at those power levels? I know at lower power levels there isnt a big power difference between a catback or true dual setup. But is there a justifiable difference the two near 600 whp?I just don't want to fix what I have and then have to replace it when I Procharge the car. So near 600whp is it better to spend the money to have a true dual setup or will a catback/y pipe setup flow enough to not justify the extra money for true duals? Thanks
Old 03-12-2014, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Literally did the same exact thing as you only a little bit worse. Took out my y pipe, intermediate pipe, part of the collector and my cut out. I ended up settling in on some TSP true duals and I love it. I do not miss the quiet to loud thing at all. Just wish I waited for stainless.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do something like this and call it a day. There is/was a guy on here with a very clean T/A that was procharged and running this exact setup. It was good for 5.80's 1/8 mile. Thats high 8 to low 9 sec 1/4 times
Old 03-17-2014, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by inssanity21
Literally did the same exact thing as you only a little bit worse. Took out my y pipe, intermediate pipe, part of the collector and my cut out. I ended up settling in on some TSP true duals and I love it. I do not miss the quiet to loud thing at all. Just wish I waited for stainless.
Ouch yea it sucks lol. I pulled the pinion gear out of mine which then ripped off the end of my driveshaft, after beating the hell out of my exhaust and floor pan. I think duals is more what I am leaning towards.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Do something like this and call it a day. There is/was a guy on here with a very clean T/A that was procharged and running this exact setup. It was good for 5.80's 1/8 mile. Thats high 8 to low 9 sec 1/4 times
Hmm I did see this setup before after some searching but after having something fabricated like this setup I think the price would be about equal to a dual setup. I also want stainless. Ohio weather sucks, not that I drive in crap weather but it still turns anything not stainless to crap. Atleast from what I have seen. Thanks for the idea though, I will keep it in mind.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft took out catback. Need opinions for build.